Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

So upset, trying to ditch the dummy

Hi mummies & babies
I feel like my heart has broken having to listen to Ava sob her little heart out just because I've gone cold turkey on ditching the dummy.
I got rid of it last night, she went to sleep without it. She cried a few times and I went in and gently soothed her (sshh & pat has always worked well for us). We had NO night time wake-ups so I was impressed.
Put her down for her morning nap with no dummy and she started crying hysterically. I can honestly say I have NEVER heard her as upset as that, even when she banged her head on the floor badly last week :cry:
I dud ssshhh & pat, kept leaving her then going back in but nothing was soothing her and she was just sobbing and screaming so much. It broke my heart, I was crying too at listening to her being like that so after 25 mins I caved and gave her a dummy for which she went straight to sleep, but still doing little sobs.
I felt like the meanest Mummy in the whole world. I could never do controlled crying I know that for sure!!
I AM quite hard and was fully prepared to be tough but I couldn't handle her being like that.

Soooooo, what do I do now?? xx

Replies

• How about doing it slowly...like starting with nighttime but allowing naps, then taking from nap time later? I dont know how it would work but we already know they see day and night sleeping as different.

Might work? Im thinking about trying nighttime but hubby not so keen as its easy when we both need sleep. Summer hols soon though so going to try then I think!
  • yeh i agree with gemmie. phoebe doesnt have a dummy but i think its easier to take it one step at a time!!
  • Thanks ladies. I've decided to wait a couple of days and try again but do it gradually. At least I know now what lies ahead and can be better prepared for her crying x
  • kels have you tried www.babysleepanswers.co.uk? they would really be able to help with it all if you get really stuck. i can always send you my book if not?
  • Thanks Lucy, I've just taken a look and on their "ditching the dummy" forums. The best advice is just to get rid and put up with the crying hmmm......tried that and I couldn't hack it!
    God knows what I'm going to do! x
  • Hi Kelly , I know its hard but if its what you want then keep at it. It will work in the end.

I am not taking H's Dummy away just yet, he is very dependant on it at the moment but he has had a lot of disruption and is still not settled in nursery so am not taking his only comfort away ( as me and daddy arnt there) just yet. Am going to wait until he is settled in nursery and has a few teeth. Good luck let us know how you get on xx
  • oh kelly image the only other thing would be to just let her have it until she understands whats going on maybe? i have seen on supernanny that they send their dummys to the "dummy fairy" and in the morning the fairy has left a present for them?

maybe she will just reject it one day?

[Modified by: lucyah on June 15, 2010 09:49 PM]

• I'm thinking of keeping it in until her toofy pegs come through, maybe it's a bit of comfort for her at the moment.
    I don't think I was in the right frame really to get rid, I'll try again and get rid FOR GOOD before she's 1 x
  • Hi Kelly hope your both ok. Lucys is a good idea. My nephew from abt one had dummy only for naps and night, reducing down to night only then at chiristmas , think he was two, he gave his dummy to the reindeer in exchange for presents. He asked for it that night and was told no you gave it to the reindeer its gone and he never asked again. Bribary does work!