Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09

Bath time

Hi girls :\)

Just wondered how you all bath your little ones?
I use a baby bath and she seems to absolutely love it - she laughs her head off!! However, i do struggle with keeping her still as she's such a little wriggler! Plus combined with holding her head/shoulders up and trying to actually wash her isn't easy.
So, i bought a bath support from M&P:
http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-bath-support-pearl-whitesoft-lime/4552499/type-i/

but i'm a bit unsure on actually how to use it?! Now i know she actually just lies on it lol, but do you fill your bath with water and then put the support in the bath?? I tried her on it but she didn't like it - plus the idea of using all that water to fill our adult bath isn't very economical!

If you use just a normal baby bath, how do you recomend keeping your LO still enough to wash them? Oh and how do you girls wash their hair? I'm doing hers in the bath but think i might have to change this.

xx 5+3

Replies

• g.c from April! You are lucky your lo loves the bath so young! Mine used to scream!

I have a similar support to the one you have bought and I fill the adult bath a couple of inches and then put the support in afterwards.

Re washing the hair - I do it in the support as was never brave enough to hold her over the side of the bath! My lo is very wriggly too and this support definitely keeps her safe - however we are going to have to move her out of it soon as she is getting too big for it!
  • Like your LO, Seth also loves the bath and splashed around kicking his legs about!!
    I so far havent bathed him myself, hubby is always about at bath time so he supports head while i wash all his bits. I do his hair in the bath but think i should be doing it differently. i bought a support for S but it seems to float and doesnt keep him water enough, dont want hiim to get cold so gone back to baby bath 4 the time being.
  • Hi Kelly
    The last 2 times i have bathed Luen i have used adult bath as for me it seemed easier as am not supposed to do any heavy lifting (had section). The other day i went in bath with him and he absolutely loved it!! And i was his support, and he was alot less slippery and wiggly than when in baby 1. He liked being near me.
    But today when i bathed him i had already had shower so had to hold him and found it a little struggle so am thinking of investing in a support.
    As for washing his hair i wrapped him up in towel and then just knelt over bath and splashed water over head then put little shampoo on head and rinsed...
    Let me know how useful you find bath support?! x
  • Hi Kelly

Like yourself I am using baby bath instead of big bath and have found using a foam sponge support from mothercare very easy to bath LO and she seems to stay in place instead of sliding all over to free up a hand to wash her properly

Hope this helps
    Christine xx

here is the link to the foam support
    http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Foam-bath-support/dp/B001CFNB9O/sr=1-11/qid=1259074553/ref=sr_1_11/278-2805795-9914415?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44537031&mcb=core
  • Thanks ladies, this bathing lark isn't an easy one is it?!!
    I meant to say that I haven't done it on my own yet either, hubby gets the bath ready for her and whilst I'm the one that baths her, he puts a bit of shampoo in my hand then he gets the baby sponge with a bit of top to toe wash on it and passes it to me. Then when we get her out he'll towel dry her hair lol. I'm so not brave enough to bath her myself yet!! I don't know how if get the bits done that hubby does!!

I'm going to have to wash her hair tonight though cuz she's spit up some milk and it's gone round the back of her head but hubby's out tonight!! Think I'll have to hold her like under my arm and splash water from the sink or something!!

Christine that foam support thing looks really good thanks. I've just spent ??20 on that plastic M&P one which I don't seem to get any use from though so Im reluctant to spend more money (which is unlike me!!)

xxx
  • Put it on ebay Kelly lol xx
  • I wash the boys hair before I get them undressed, by wrapping them properly (so their arms are totally secure) and holding them over the baby bath like a rugby ball with one hand and washing with the other. I dont use shampoo, just the bath water with the baby bath wash in it.

When I bath them, I put one arm under their neck and hold their arm that is furthest away from me. The other arm lifts them under the bum and drops them in. Then that arm is free to clean. However, again, I dont use any bath wash. I just use the soap which is alraedy in the water.

Im going to do it like this for as long as possible. Then im going to bathe them like my SIL bathed my neice, by filling the adult bath with a couple of inches and laying them on a bath mat in the bath. I cant wait till they can sit up coz then I can bathe them both together with me but I cant do that at the moment as I dont have hubby around in the evening to pass me them/take them out.

Anyway, the way I do it is the way the hospital taught me. I do have a Summer bath support but havent used it yet.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie (7+2)
  • We use a baby bucket (wash pod by prince lion heart) and Callum loves it! It helps as it gives him support to sit which makes it much easier and I've been able to bath him on my own. It hardly uses any water as well!
    WW
    & Callum (5 weeks )
  • We've got this bath support ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tigex-Baby-Bath-Seat/dp/B000NI5MKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1259176520&sr=8-1

And I have to admit, I LOVE it!! ha ha! I was so so scared to bathe Ollie at first but now I love doing it because he has a lovely splashy time and giggles a lot and I can also go 'hands free' to use shampoo and top to toe etc. xxx