Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I'm confused regarding milk & weaning

Hey Mummies
I've just been thinking about this and when I come to wean LO do I still stick with Hungry Baby milk or switch back to 1st???
I don't mean when I start on just a bit of baby rice/porridge but more so when she'll be having "meals" per day??
Thanks in advance for any advice image xxx

Replies

• Options
    im not using hungry baby milk wiv ayda but i did wiv my son and we dint change his milk wen we weaned. he stayed on hungry baby till he was a yr then went onto cows milk, though i suppose it depends on the baby thou, if shes getting too filled up on the baby milk and not want much 'proper' food then u may want to change her bk!

sorry not really much help at all lol

xx
  • Options
    No hun that's great thanks!!
    That's what I was thinking cuz I don't want her being an ickle porker lol!!! She does love her milk so I'm hoping she'll love proper food just as much image
  • Options
    hi kel i would try where poss giving the food first then milk so lo fills up on food rather than milk. It has me completely confused though too. i was thinking once 3 meals a day were established you went on to follow on milk? not so sure now. are you starting weaning soon ? xx
  • Options
    Oh God I never even gave the follow on milk a thought!!!

I'm not planning on weaning just yet, definitely eeking her out until 17 weeks (2 more weeks) and see how she goes, ideally if she can hang on until 20 wells I think I'd feel better!!!

I posted in Baby a few days ago about how much milk they still need and someone said about 18oz's per day???
  • Options
    There was a programme on BBC1 the other night about baby/toddler meals and they said that follow on milk which says it has all the iron your baby needs isn't necessary if your baby has a healthy balanced diet as they will get all the nutrients they need from that.

Weaning is just a minefield of questions, I've just ordered the annabel karmel book off amazon in the hope it might give me a better idea of the best way to do things.
  • Options
    so would that mean just carry on with normal milk at a reduced amount ( once 3 meals established) plus cooled boiled water ? argh its a minefield. I have the annabel top 100 purees book but dont recallit mentioning whether follow is necessary or not. shall re-read. am confused !!! xx
  • Options
    i'm not sure either. Alfie is now on 2 meals a day (probably about 5tsp at each meal). Breakfast at 9am and tea at 5pm. He still has between 25 and 30oz of milk a day too although it is just normal aptamil 1. I believe it is between 18oz and 20oz a day still when on 3 meals. It says it somewhere in the Annabel top 100 purees book. XX
  • Options
    LOL well I'm pleased we're all confused together then :lol: !!!!!

Charlene - is Alfie not on Hungry milk? It's just that DD is so do I still stick with that, move her back to No.1 or move to follow on? Although I plan on doing all my own purees & food so I'd like to think she'll be getting enough vitamins & nutrients that way!!!
    I got an AK book free with a Mother & Baby magazine yonks ago and got it out for a read last night image
    Is anyone else actually getting excited to be making "food" for our LO's? I can't wait to see her face trying allsorts of veg & fruit ah
    xxx
  • Options
    it was panorama that was on the other nite and it said follow on milk totally unnessesary if child eating a balanced diet and that it is full of sugar. The taste tested it on adults and they all said it was very sweet. They suggested normal breast or formula milk till 12 months then switch to cows milk and if their diet was lacking to give them vitamin drops.
  • Options
    Well the HV told me that hungry milk doesn't have any more calories than normal milk it is just heavier and stays in their stomachs longer and is harder to digest making them feel full for longer. She also said that because of this it often makes them constipated and Alfie only goes every other day as it is so i didn't want to risk putting him on that. I would say leave her on the milk she is on but i really don't know. Maybe ask the health visitor. I don't plan on using follow on milk just sticking with his milk till he can have cow's milk which is 1 year isn't it?

charlene
  • Options
    Thanks babypir , that clears that up will stick with reg milk and then he can have cows milk at 1 . so confusing but yes i am excited about trying diff tastes with him, hope he likes it! xx
  • Options
    Thanks for that babypie I'll stick to the normal milk then image

Charlene - DD has had no problems with constipation on the hungry milk, quite the opposite as she now poops around 3 times a day!!! The only thing I have noticed with it is that it makes her slightly more windy, she stops after about 4oz's and does a HUGE big burp - charming!! She's on the Aptamil hungry one.

xxx