Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Follow on milk at 6 months?

Hey ladies & babies

Just wondered if you're planning on switching to Follow on Milk from 6 months?
I know it contains more iron & LO's iron resources start to dwindle after this time so I do think I'm going to switch.

Just wanted opinions lol image xx

Replies

• Options
    Heya
    as dd is lactose intolerant she will be staying on sma lactose free which does not come in different stages. Before dd was diagnosed as lactose intolerant I asked my hv about follow on milks and she said there is no need for them and that they are a waste of money. Just her opinion and I have not really looked into due to dd stayin on waht she already has.
    xx
  • Options
    Hi kelly, i havent made my mind up yet but have been advised its not really necessary as long as LO is getting a full and varied diet. ~Im not ruling it out completely though, one way or another you have to buy formula until there are 12 months and i dont think there is a price difference?? so i suppose why not use follow on ? I suppose at least you are guarenteed lo is def getting all the vitamins they need. Oh i dont flipping know! to quote my mum - 'theres just too much choice these days!!' xx
  • Options
    Exactly - far too much choice!!!!
    Well I mean obviously I plan on her having all the nutrients she needs from the food I'll be giving her but yes, as she'll still be on formula anyway I may aswell at least "try" her on follow on milk & see what she thinks. It is the same price & nothing different other than extra iron, which let's face it, isn't going to harm them is it?
    xx
  • Options
    Seth is on funny doctors milk but i'm not entirely convinced there is anything wrong with him, i think give it another month and it may be reviewed. So who knows!!
  • Options
    I'm not entirey sure but are you allowed to collect points if you buy follow on milks? Like Advantage or Clubcard points? I know it seems petty but I'm hugely annoyed that we can't get them for first formula- it's not my fault i couldn't breastfeed and the extra points on formula would have contributed towards nappies, wipes etc?
  • Options
    Hi Kelly,
    We have started Hipps Organic Follow On Milk this week as it's ??2 cheaper than the milk H was on, and as it's organic i wondered if it had less cr$p in than Aptimil. He seems to like it and it doesn;t clog up the teats like the aptimil so it's better all round! H will be 6 months in just over a week.
    Dx
  • Options
    i saw a program that said that follow on milk is full of sugar. I think it was panorama a few months back it was all about all the stuff they put in kids foods. My health visitor said it was unnessesary if they are eating a varied diet.
  • Options
    ninileigh - yes follow on milk DOES collect advantage points etc but first milk doesnt.

babypie i havent seen that panorama programme, shall google in and see if i can find any info. will post link if i do x
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_8461000/8461992.stm

it relates to growing up milk, ( 1 + and goodnight) doesnt mention follow on

hope it helps x
  • Options
    My HV said that follow on milk was invented to get round the laws on infant formula so you don't need to switch, but if it's cheaper and you get the points - then why not!
  • Options
    My HV said the same as yours wonder Woman, that there was pretty much no point in moving and just stick with the first milk until they are 1 and can have cows milk as just there so they can advertise it!! What a swizz! My LO on Aptamil hungry baby so will prob just stay on that
  • Options
    yeah that could be what i saw, growing up milk, it was quite scary to watch that program and see all the rubbish they put in stuff for our kids. Sorry to of scared any of you about follow on if its fine!
  • Options
    Well after all these posts im just confused!! :lol:
  • Options
    Think wonder woman is right. read an article which show the American market is not nearly as receptive to follow on milk as british market. they have no laws restriciting advertising of first milks , we do, so it does seem a loop hole in how manufacturers can advertise. Am still completely confused though as to whether there really is any benefit to it??? xx
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for your replies - good to get different views image

My HV told me the same thing about the manufactures using it for advertsing purposes but when it's the same price, contains more iron, you can collect Clubcard/Boots points with them then I think I'll give it a go at least. If she doesn't take to it then I can always switch back. x
  • Options
    I think I'm going to switch. Purely for the fact that as I am doing BLW with H, he probably won't be taking down much food for the first few months so he'll need the extra nutrients from his milk.

I was automatically going to use Aptamil as that is what he is on now, but after reading PP's post about Hipp I'm tempted with that ...
  • Options
    SW.. H had started to get constipated now he's on solids but the Hipp organic milk has helped and it's really good.
    Dx
  • Options
    Hi Proud Mummy1, I was reading your post as I was in the same dilemma whether to change.I have decided to try the follow on milk for the same reasons you said and its 3 for 2 in Boots at the minute so Ive stocked up. Also when you get money off vouchers at Sainsburys it excludes first milk, so I think the follow on milk will allow for much better savings, especially as its so expensive.
  • Options
    Oh Ive just noticed this thread is one year old oops haha
  • Options
    I'm glad you bumped the thread tho lychee, I had the same conversation today with my mum about whether to use follow on milk. So thank you! Xx