Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

feed timeings and increasing amount

Hi ladies,

just wondering what and how those that are weaning are managing with timings, and how much los are taking.
H 's routine is
7 am 7 oz bottle
8.30 -9.00 - 2 -3 teaspoon (dry) of porriage which seems to make up l;oads
11.00 off 7 oz bottle but is tending to leave abt 2 oz
2.30 pm veg puree and 2 oz water followed by abt 3 0z milk
6.30 pm - 7 oz bottle and bed

so all in all abt 24 oz of milk feed ( have these last 2 days cut oput dream feed of 7 oz but he is waking constantly , for dummy though not food) plus 2 small meals a day, is prob getting between 1 - 2 ice cubes worth.

Have i cut down the milk too quickly ? Am i feeding him enough/ not enough / too much food? This baby will just keep eating does not seem to have powers of self regulation that others have so am a touch concerned abt over feeding him. any opinions / advice appreciated xx

Replies

• dd has
    8.30am 8oz milk and porridge
    11.30am 8oz milk and dinner
    2.30pm 8oz milk and veg
    5.30pm 8oz milk then straight to bed
    she normaly drinks all of her milk but some days will leave a few oz so always has at least 26oz
    hth
    xx
  • Hiya hun
    This is my feeding routine:

7am - wake & 7oz botle
    9.30am - porridge made with 1.5 oz's milk
    11.45 am - 7oz bottle
    12.30pm (ish) - veg puree
    3.45pm - 7oz bottle (but she's recently started to drop the amount, has been taking around 4/5 oz's the last couple of days so won't be long and i think she'll naturally drop it)
    4.45pm - fruit puree
    6.30pm - 7oz bottle

It is hard fitting it milk feeds with weaning, especially when i'm planning on going out - not as easy when she was just on milk that's for sure! I always like her to take her milk at least 30mins before the puree so she's not sick or anything!!!!
    xx
  • Hey huni,
    DS's routine is
    7am 7oz milk
    8:30 Porridge (about 3-4 teaspoons of dry stuff
    11:00-11.30 6oz milk and about 4 weaning sized cubes (2x sweet and 2xsavory)
    2.30-3 7-8oz milk
    4.30 4 cubes of food again
    6.30 7-8oz milk
    So he takes about 26oz milk a day and on 3 good sized meals.
    HV said the next bottle to drop will be the lunch time one but at the moment he's wanting it so i'm just letting him do what he wants at the mo. Once we get to 6 months and he's eating what we eat he may drop the lunch time one.
  • Thanks for your replys , it really does help think i try and up his bottles through day rather than reinro dreamfeed. Seems that with still only being on 2 small meals a day 24 oz is quite a drop. Am taking him to get him weighed tomorrow so will ask if there is any minimum of milk he should be having but tbh hv is not great and her usual answer is, be led by him, which is all well and good if you have a baby who will stop feeding when full but H just feeds and feeds until it spills out of his mouth, quite literally. Think he got this trait from me. Am the same with chocolate ! lol xx
  • I waS just told by my HV like Kelly said that when they get on 3 good meals a day they should only need 20oz milk which can be in some food to like when making up porridge or adding to food or later in yogurts and sauces etcc.
    Sx
  • Hi Blue stars, I was getting really worried that I was overfeeding my LO, he's still on 5 bottles a day of 7oz (plus one sometimes in the night, as there are times when he wakes up when all he wants is the milk and nothing else will do!!!) and he is on 2 meals a day. Porridge or banana for brekkie and veg puree at lunch. I got him weighed yesterday as had been weaning for 2 wks and wanted to see weight gain (1lb 2oz in those 2 wks and is now 18lb 4oz-eep!!) However my HV said not to worry, as there is pretty much no calories in the food he is having, and to just keep everything the same. I think at the beginning of weaning milk is still their main source of nutrition. Hope this helps but didn;t want to read and run as I have had the same anxieties!!

(does not help when people come up to me and go 'oooh isn't he big, what are you feeding him!!) But that's another moan,,,!
  • RJ84 - thanks for your reply it does put my mind at rest. Somedays i ignore the isnt he big comments and others i feel like punching them and telling them how i think they have a fat ar*e or have gained a lot of weight! see how they like it lol!

Got him weighed this morn and HV said the same abt food except she told me to not give him milk in night ( easier said then done sometimes) and give him water instead as its more likely teething that hunger. She suggested giving the 2nd meal later and continue to give a dream feed ( whilst cutting out a day bottle) for another 4 weeks. She also said he should be on 20 oz but i thought this was when they were fully established on 3 meals.

Shall try and rearrange his routine to suit tomorrow. thanks for all your advice xx
  • Hi ladies, it is nice to see what other's are doing? To start with i was giving H baby brekkie, then just a taste of veg for lunch,(alternating each day with fruit) then plain rice for tea. Now he is nearly 6 months and having mixed veg, meat etc should i then give the fruit on the same day say before his tea as an afternoon snack? Instead of one day fruit one day veg?
    He still has each meal alongside his bottle but doesn't finish it....
    Dx
  • ever thought of mixing the fruit with the vege? sounds wierd lol but some mix's they really love image Libbie doesn't seem to like anything i've tried so far with her other than i was naughty (well hv would say so lol) and i pureed roast lamb dinner for her and she ate the lot! it consisted of very tiny amount of lamb, boiled potato, cauli, carrot, peas and green beans. She really does not like the shop bought baby foods :S though shes got one for tea as we're going out.