Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How much formula (or boobie) per day?

How much formula are you LO's taking per day please?
The reason i put formula (or breastmilk) and not MILK is because i'm not counting dairy products lol.

Ava seems to be dropping the amount of formula, she's on 3 bottles with an overall average of 16ozs per day. BUT she looks like she's going to drop the mid afternoon bottle as she only takes about 3 ozs (at a push), but saying that the other day she had the full 6 ozs!!!!! Most days she'll only have 3ozs for that mid afternoon one. I'm happy to drop it and replace with a snack but then she'd be down to 13ozs per day! That's not enough is it?? I know by 12 months their formula intake isn't quite so important so maybe i shouldn't fret as it's only a couple of months away. She's thriving and healthy etc and i'm sure if she'd want it she'd take it!
xx

Replies

• Hi Kelly,

H has been on 2 bottles a day for some time now - usually 6 oz in each , sometimes 7 in nighttime. Like Ava he started refusing milk at lunch on most days, odd occassion he would have a full bottle but it was a struggle to get him to take one oz.

If you think the time is right then drop it.

HV just say count the milk in breakfast ( 2 oz) and any youghurts / cheese. Not sure how you physically can count the oz of milk in that but she said 2 yogs at lunch is ok and use full fat milk in cooking.

For a while I was worried that the lack of milk intake was contibuting to his toothless state but HV said teeth are formed before birth with calcium from our body so not to worry xx
  • Dylan is having 2-3 (occassionally 4/5 - depending on his mood) boob feeds a day. Have no idea how much he is getting though. He seems happy and is healthy and deliciously chunky and gets enough calcium in other dairy products.

My HV said, 2 boob feeds a day at his age is fine now. He feeds for 5 mins usually and she didn't see that this would be a problem. I would guess at the most he is probably taking as many oz's as Ava.

Jo x
  • Were probably not the best example as we dont have any other dairy, at all!

BUT, we have been on 2 bottles a day for ages, and they have 6oz. However, they often leave an oz in the morning, and sometimes drink very little of their nighttime bottle. I think we average between 8-10oz a day!!!! And thats with no other dairy products! I worry ALL THE TIME about their milk intake but I cant do anything about it if they wont drink it!!
  • Thanks ladies - nice to know what others are on at this stage.
    She does have plenty of dairy products but I didn't want to count them, it was more to see if she'd be ok dropping the formula xx
  • Well Seth is taking about 18oz a day but recently he has turned into a milk monster and has been drinking 21oz, but then a few weeks ago he stopped drinking his morning bottle so was only taking about 14oz.I think the next one he will drop is his morning one. But then maybe when he is mroe active like Ava he will drop his afternoon one instead and have a snack! Who knows with these babies.
  • I'M AT THE OTHER EXTREME - I'M TRYING TO DROP H'S MILK AS I READ THAT HE IS MEANT TO BE OFF FORMULA BY THE TIME HE IS ONE - BUT ITS NOT GOING WELL. I'VE DROPPED HIS 11O/C FEED - SO NOW HE HAS 7OZ AT 7:30, 7OZ AT 3:00 AND 7OZ AT 6:30 - BUT I'M SURE HE'S HUNGRY.

I WAS GOING TO CUT DOWN HIS 3PM FEED NEXT WEEK BUT I DON'T THINK IT WILL GO DOWN WELL ....

K X