Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

controlled crying :(

the time has come, now we are ttc #2 i have realised i dont want to deal with morning sickness AND phoebe waking several times in the night.. sometimes i see every hour image

i dont want to start a debate about controlled crying. i know some people are for and against it but given the circumstances i know both phoebe and i will benefit from having more sleep!

has anyone tried this?

im just hoping for some support as dh tells me im cruel and its making me feel so awful image so doing it all on my own, with no one to support me and help me image

we start at the weekend..... so not looking forwards to it image

Replies

• Hi hun,

I dont really know much about it , but i too will be having a go at doing it soon as thenight wakings for dummy are becoming silly again. Especially as H lies there crying with his eyes shut and the dummy sometimes next to his hand! lazy boy!

Any way dont feel guilty its not cruel, different things work for different people and babys. Let me know how you go with it xx
  • Hi Lucy
    we're here to support you.
    I'm not against CC at all, it gets results and fast. However that's not to say it's something I could do lol.
    I'm along the same lines as Blue Star though with the dummy so i've got to get hard about it and I think the only thing that will work would be CC.

I do think you will need support from your hubby though hun, it WILL be tough but you'll need his help.
    Good luck, keep us informed xx
  • hi there.

we did cc with our 7 month old at the time, he is the same age as your lo, he was also waking several times in the night and would not sleep in the cot for nap times during the day (i was having to hold him) i was very keen to get this sorted, the first 3 days are really hard for everyone, but within a week, it was sorted, he had and still has 2 good naps in the cot in the day and he usually sleeps through the night, and he now prefers being in his cot for sleep time! i would say, go for it, it really worked for us, my oh was like yours, he thought i was being mean but now i can say to him, "well it worked!" he didnt help me with the cc, but i managed it by myself, so im sure you can!

ashy x
  • Hi Lucy,
    Not got much advice I'm afraid, I have attempted controlled crying but to not much avail. Only because I am such a wimp and couldn't see it through. Make sure OH is 100% behind you too as its hard going, explain how its tough but get results and its important for Phoebe to sleep well, especially if he wants lots of action and for you to TTCimage

Let us know how you get on. We are still having sleep problems and I can't even let Dylan cry for a while now because if his hernia problem (it gets sooo much worse with just a little bit of crying!!!!).
    Good luck x
  • Hi hun im thinking that we are gonna have to give this a go soon. Im lucky in that she sleeps through the night but settling is a nightmare. She used to be so good but things have just gone down hill!! Good luck hun let us no how you get on.
    xxx
  • Hi huni,
    Should DS stop sleeping through i shall be doing CC, We had a sleep lady come and talk to us when DS was waking every 20 mins back when he was 6months and it was CC she was talking about. Thankfuly he slept and we didnt need to so that was that.
    We are here to support to you and you really need to get OH on side as its going to be twice as hard if you are on your own
    Sx
  • thank you so so so so much girls, really makes me happy that your all here to support me. spoke to hv today and she just bascially told me (in the nicest way possible) to get some balls, bite the bullet and go for it!! friday night it starts..dh still isnt co-operating with it so will be relying on you guys for support!!! just make sure i keep going!!!! image

mrs amanda..... am a member of baby sleep answers! its a godsend! image

oh shit.. dd has been asleep for an hour and i can hear movement over the baby monitor already image

cant wait for a full nights sleep again!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hi,

Had to do this with my DD when she was about 8 months. It is so so hard but she and we have now benefitted so much from it.

We tried everything and every suggestion beforehand but nothing was working. I then brought the contented baby sleeping book (or something like that) by Gina Ford and this helped to explain everything and gave me something to keep my mind occupied whilst all the crying was going on!

Before it would take over and hour to get dd down for the night and she would always wake up after 1/2 of being asleep then eventually going down after her dreamfeed at 10.30pm. Her naps weren't that good either as she would only sleep for 1/2 at a time and that was either on me or in her bouncer.

Now, she has a great bedtime routine goes in her cot at 7pm and is asleep by 7.15pm (after babbling to herself first)! She then sleeps right through till 7.30am. If she wakes up she may have a moan but settles herself. Her naps have also improved and she now has her naps in her cot and sleeps for about an hour twice a day.

Yes it is very hard but well worth it in the end. Took us about 10 days but since then we haven't looked back! I found that having something to do whilst she was crying would kinda keep my mind off of it all, reading the baby book, ironing, tidying etc.

Good luck, let us know how it all goes. xxx
  • thanks shezakeza!! image

i have read gina ford before and its too much routine and not enough living life! i will have to defo get something to keep my mind off her crying.. maybe BE! i will be in the "out of hours" forum! lol!

feeling really positive about the outcome but so worried image i know she is going to scream and make herself so hot.. think just a vest and sleepsuit?? or vest and sleeping bag???
  • oh god raviolig.. i hope it all works out for both of us!! sounds like you have had a rough time!!
  • started tonight.. its awful image i feel like such a cow!!!
  • g/c from BIN

your not a cow!!!! She will feel so so much better for more sleep, she's safe, warm, fed and dry she's only crying through tiredness and to get your attention.

We did cc with Dylan, every other method made him more hysterical, he sleeps brilliantly now and is happy for it.

You are doing what you feel is best and mummys tend to know best image

Big hugs hun your doing brilliantly

xxxx
  • awww thanks dylans mummy image

its so horrible though image

she slept from 8.15pm to 4.45am straight through so not bad for the first night i guess!! will see how it goes!!
  • lucy thats pretty good for night one! stick with it, your doing great!

ashy xxx
  • well i have put her down at 7.15 and she is STILL awake, sat up, like a drunk person dozing off.. going...going...going... then realises and springs back up, little madam!!
  • bit of a rough night last night but tonight, put her down awake and in 10mins she was sound asleep!!!! im so pleased i just phoned all my mummy friends to tell them! image
  • So glad you are seeing results already hun. It must be so tough but it will be better for you both when you can get some sleep.
    Sending sleepy thoughts!!

• ohhh ohhh! i think we have cracked it!!! *prays shes not speaking too soon!*

last night bar a little grizzle at 11pm.. i was greeted with a happy smiley baby at 7.30am! my first full nights sleep in 10months!! woooooooooooooo!!! image
  • well done you!!!! i knew you would do it! so pleased for you all

ashy xx
  • Wow, that worked really quickly! How many nights did it take?