Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09

GINA FORD - MYTH and REALITY

MY BABY WAS BORN IN SEPTEMBER - I've Hijacked your page - LOL. ;\)

I had to write this.

When I was in hospital with my LO (fist time mum by the way) - the midwife suggested I read a book called the "contented little baby book by Gina Ford". I complteley dismissed this advice as I had bought other books plus she said "read it and then throw it away" and I was confussed by the comment.

I now TRULY understand what the midwife was trying to tell me.

I went to NCT classess am 100% in doing everthing as natural as possible, birth feeding the WHOLE works and am no planning on baby lead weaning, I had heard reviews that the BOOK as restrictive too ridged, and basically "not grounded in reality" - so, I never bought it.

WE have a REFLUX baby. The first 12 weeks have been hell - and I have to be honest with you I have not enjoyed it much. For those that dont know REFLUX is when your baby is sick and/or screams shortly after a feed, or when you change a nappy, try and play, or anything that involves them being on their back. It is often misdiagnosed as COLIC, I had a screaming baby in ALL non-waking hours. As a new mum this was horiffic. I thought I was doing something wrong. We are now Consultant led and my LO is getting treatment whih involves him taking a bottle. So, what I'm saying is that this is for both breatfeeding mums and bottle fed babies.

My LO was a terrible sleeper - I was feeding on demand & I could barely leave the house. Some, mums can do demand feeding and their LO lets them sleep. For me - I was being sleep deprived as my LO was waking up every 1.5hrs for a feed. I was getting NO SLEEP. This went on for weeks, OVER 8 weeeks until I went to see a Dr. regarding the screaming - we got dignosed with reflux and he went on meds.

MY point.

I thought after medication he would change and he did'nt - I was distraught. STILL no sleep. MY MIL bought be the "Contented Little Baby Book" and for days I did not pick it up. What could I possible gain from it?? I eventually read it and all I have to say is "I GET WHAT THE MIDWIFE WAS ON ABOUT"

I have in NO WAY followed the routine. I have picked at it and implimented the bits that I thought "hhhhmmm, maybe that would work". I have read what she has had to say and thought "WOW okay, that makes a bit of sense". Could I follow the routine "NO" - but I tell you something LADIES - I wish I had read it earlier.

I have followed a few of the tips in this book and my baby will now sleep from 11pm to 7am - I ACTUALLY SLEEP!!! :\) My baby is happy, I'm happy!!!

If your struggeling, if you have tried everything & nothing works - this is a good place to START, If you are like some of the other ladies at my NCT class who have taken to the "motherhood thing" like a duck to water - SIMPLY ignore this post for all you others - I JUST WISH SOMEBODY had suggested this earlier - my advice "read it then throw it away" LOL xxx;\)

Replies

• Aww have not read her book myself but have heard snippets over the years..
    But am saying thanks for your advice if i ever need to take a look i will do, i think it is one of them things where you take what suits you and your needs isnt it??
    xx