Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09

Lunch times

Hi ladies,
We are going away the week after next (woohoo, off to sunny yorkshire!!!) and Dylan is currently having a hot meal at lunch and also at tea time. I really want to get him to eat a picnic lunch eg sandwiches to save all the faffing about with heating meals when out and about.

He is really good with most finger foods (loves cheese, organix crisps, breadsticks etc) but with sandwiches he just sucks at and mushes them up in his hands and throws them. Had anyone got any tips to encourage him to get sandwiches?

Any ideas ladies? (thought Smithyswife might have some tips with being an expert BLW'er!!!)

Jo x x x

Replies

• Hi Jo
    sorry can't help but I'd be interested to know if there was a solution. DD refuses ready made crap (don't blame her haha!!) but it causes a problem when we go out for the day. I'm contemplating making sandwiches up for her but a) they won't get eaten, only bits sucked lol and b) it'll cause a heck of a mess!!!!
    xx
  • Hello! SO not an expert - but I'll do my best !!! When we go swimming on a Tuesday I take sandwiches as we have to eat at the pool. I cheat a bit really - I cut them into bite size pieces and then put them in his mouth for him. Worked a treat the first week - but last week he wasn't having any of it ... he's at the stage where he likes to check out any food I give him from my hands - don't think he trusts me LOL ! So you could try that ...

Although when we have a picnic I don't take sandwiches - just finger foods ...
  • Thanks!!! I have been trying sandwiches for his afternoon snack every day but we aren't having much success. I've tried crackerbread, white bread, brown bread, pitta bread, crumpets, wraps...all failed!!! ARGH!!! I'm running out of different bread options!!!
  • Oh honeyboo - sorry he's not getting on with his sandwiches - H loves bread !!! How about bagels ? I thought they would be hard to eat but H really likes them. What are you putting in them? Maybe he would eat something a bit sweeter ?? Or stronger in flavour ?
  • Also another thought - if he's had a big lunch he may not want a sandwich by snack time. It might be trying again at tea time rather than as a snack ...

• Hi Smithyswife,
    I've tried bagels to no avail! I've been putting soft cheese on them and yesterday I tried jam in the hope it would appeal to his sweet tooth! I tried popping little bits of sandwich into his mouth yesterday and I had some success so will keep perservering with this. He has such a massive appetite and just seems to keep on eating but I will try today just a sanwich at lunch time and see how it goes.
    Thanks for your help
    Jo x
  • No worries. Let me know how u get on. U can always give hi
    crisps and fruit if he's still hungry after his sandwich x
  • random but what about muffins? lol

oh and crisps- quavers! they are the best crisps for little ones and they LOVE them! image

on the sandwiches front.. what about arranging them in a funny face picture on the plate? i have seen some kids tuck right in when they see the food is fun!