Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Brushing teeth

Babies not ours!!!

Grace has got two bottom teeth so thought it was about time she started to brush them. I have been giving her her toothbrush in the morning when i do mine and also when she is in the bath in the evening. She just chews on it and occasionaly manages to get her teeth. If i try to help her she goes mad (miss independent) is it ok to just let her play with the toothbrush and not worry too much if she is not actually brushing her teeth or can anyone give me any ideas as to how i can brush them more effectively?

Thanks ladies

MicMic and Grace
xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey i'm really struggling with the teeth brushing!!
    My health visitor told me she wasn't allowed to chew on the brush, she didn't explain why though!
    I think I would much rather do this as she refuses to let me brush her teeth, it turns into such a struggle! She shakes her head kicks her feet, screams and pushes the brush out with her tongue! I also think she doesn't like the mintiness of the toothpaste although the HV told me family toothpaste is best....

Sorry I can't be of much help, I'm just looking for some advice too.
    Dani x
  • Options
    Hmm I seem to remember being told by the tooth lady (we had a visit from dental nurse to our baby group) that them chewing on the brush was fine/good. It does do some cleaning and is far better than nothing. Now I'm getting worried I might have made that up in my brain (as that is exactly what Ruben does).

I usually start of by brushing for as long as he lets me (not long!) and then let him have a go chewing it, and try to intercept every now and again to do a couple of strokes. My main aim is to make it relaxed and fun so I don't press the issue if he protest, I just let go of the brush and let him familiarise himself with it. I'm kind of just hoping that he will gradually tolerate a longer brushing time as we go, as currently it must be a really strange thing to him.

[Modified by: Annie-May on June 27, 2010 12:42 AM]

• Options
    Isabelle hasn't got any teeth yet, but with my son I used to have to lie him over my legs with his head right back and brush them really quickly but used to make it a game, and then we went through the stage where he would have to be almost pinned down, I always gave him his brush and I had a brush too. He's now 2yrs 4 months and loves brushing his teeth - sometimes up to 4-5 times a day xx
  • Options
    We took Jack to his first dentist visit last week as he now has 6 teeth. Our dentist do a smile programme for children (think most dentist's do it now).

We were told that the toothpaste for children upto 3 years old must have a fluride level of 1000ppm. Since Jack is only 9 months old, she told us the best thing to do is wash your hands, then put a smear of toothpaste on your finger and wipe it across the teeth and gums if you can't get the brish over the teeth. She said you can start to introduce a toothbrush later on and there's no harm in letting them hold it and put it in their mouth as the toothpaste will go on the teeth that way as well. xx