Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bottle feeders

Hi Ladies,
As you can tell by the time i am up up up!! Well Seth is so Sara is! lol
Anyway, to all you ladies bottle feeding, how do you lo's actually feed, are they good suckers that keep going or do you have to 'fight' with them to get it in?
Seth drinks about 2-3oz down really fast then once i've stopped to wind him he really fights with the bottle and wont suck, just plays with the teat and it takes me forever to get more into him.
He is on Avent bottle with no.2 teats on. I wondered whether it would be worth trying a different bottle or whether this is normal or whether my lo is just awkward?!
He's been worse since he's been poorly but TBH he was never that gr8er feeder when he was well
Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Sxx
10+3

Replies

• Good morning S & S image

Well Ava's really good at taking her bottle (she likes her grub!) and I've just moved her up to 7oz as she was wanting that little bit more.
    I use the TT closer to nature bottles & no 2 teats.
    Usually at the 10.30pm feed she'll really fight with it (I posted over in Baby about it) I know she wants it but she'll thrash her head about. I've now put this down to tiredness tbh because last night she slept well after her bath (which sometimes again she'll fight against) so when she woke at 10pm she was refreshed & ready. She took the full 7oz, calmly, and nodded off straight after - and went through until 8 this morning image
    So she has about 34/35oz per day.
    It could be that he's tired hun, well that's what I'm thinking with Ava anyway. Or it could be a bit of trapped wind, have you tried a bit of gripe inbetween?? I did this, she's good at getting her wind up anyway but if she's got a bit trapped and wants her milk she'll go for the milk option!! So I give her a bit of gripe, bring the wind up, and off we go again image
    xxx
  • Well have been doin a bit of research on the avent website and it suggests that babies that scream and fall asleep half way through feeds they may need next size teats, so i toddled up to tescos and bought no.3 teats and by golly they have worked. He had 6oz no probs twice today and ive just fed him 8oz before bed. I'm holding out a little hope for tonight now!! Dont speak to soon tho!! lol
    Sxx
  • Hope you have your problem sorted.
    Luen drinks 7oz's in day and he can vary on how quick he drinks this. Think when he very hungry or awake he drinks well and usually in 1 go.He takes ages to wind so usually only wind at end or halfway if it upsetting him.
    Before bed i was giving him 5 as this all he'd manage am now thinking of increasing this a luttle he may even sleep longer not that we can complain as he sleeps well til about 4/5 xxx
  • Alfie does the same thing he has about 3 oz then won't take the rest he doesn't cry or fall asleep but just pushes the teat around in his mouth. do the number 3 teats say for 6 months +? as the dr brown ones do so was reluctant to try them but if the avent ones have worked for you and they say 6 months + then i might give it a go.

another thing i have read is if they start to become uninterested in their milk it can be a sign that they need to start weaning and introducing a texture makes them interested. Do you think they are too young to try a bit of baby rice or a rusk with milk?

charlene
  • Hi Charlene85, no. 3 avent teats are for 3months plus. they deffo helped, hes now taking between 5-8oz each time depending on time of day. Not sure about the rusks etc, see HV on Tues so will ask her.
    Sx
  • Sara... I think I could have written your post! Do you know, I never even thought about the teat size, we tried the size 3 teats a few weeks ago and Ollie would just dribble milk everywhere were they were obviously too big but I guess now he's a bit bigger (and greedier!) they may be the answer! xxx
  • Hi Bert666. yeah for 1st couple of days Seth dribbled lots now hes got used to them and they are fine.