Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep help

Dylan is a poo sleeper, really really poo. He wakes lots during the night, has a tantrum, tries to climb out of his cot, purposely bangs his head, throws his dummies etc.

I need sleep!!!! Has anyone got some magical advice. I spoke to HV yesterday and she was useless. I don't feel that I can leave him to cry as he has a umbilical hernia (paediatrican appointment on the 9th Sept to assess if they should operate) and any amount of crying makes it worse, it bulges more and he tugs at it. HV basically said, feed him if he will not settle and put him down awake but he doesn't need feeding (he will quite happily have a boob feed but its for comfort instead of a necessity) he eats loads during the day so I know he is not hungry.

I don't feel like feeding him is achieving anything and I really would like him to be able to settle himself back to sleep. At the moment, if I don't get to him quick enough with a dummy he can be awake for hours, 3.15am get ups last week!!!!

Any alternatives to controlled crying (not that I'm against it at all, I just have belly button issues!!!). I've also tried ditching the dummy but that also resulted in even more crying and at even sillier looking belly button!!!!

A sleepy Jo x

Replies

• I can't really help but didn't want to read and run!

We give Brody a formula feed in the evening (as well as his normal boob feeds) and if he still won't settle we give him some Ready Brek. I know you said he eats loads during the day so shouldn't be hungry but we've found that the extra formula and Ready Brek at night help Brody to stay asleep for longer (not always though I hasten to add).
    I don't have any advice about getting him to settle on his own I'm afraid. Hope it settles for you soon so you can get some rest.

Hope all goes well on the 9th September too.

Jaimep xxx
  • I can't really help but didn't want to read and run!

We give Brody a formula feed in the evening (as well as his normal boob feeds) and if he still won't settle we give him some Ready Brek. I know you said he eats loads during the day so shouldn't be hungry but we've found that the extra formula and Ready Brek at night help Brody to stay asleep for longer (not always though I hasten to add).
    I don't have any advice about getting him to settle on his own I'm afraid. Hope it settles for you soon so you can get some rest.

Hope all goes well on the 9th September too.

Jaimep xxx
  • aw jo image i really wish i could help but as you know im a tiredy mummy too! image

i suppose you cant do much until the doctors have sorted his hernia? in the mean time, lots and lots of coffee!! image

im so sorry theres no better advice i can give, im doing cc starting 2moro but i know its not an option for you!

good luck with it all and keep smiling!!