Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How many hours sleep?

I think we'll all admit that sleep (or lack of) is about all us new Mummies think about :\)

I just wondered how many hours sleep your LO does at night?
Now I can't have a major moan cuz DD's always been a great sleeper BUT for the past 3 weeks things have gone a bit awry and no 2 nights are the same.
She had a cold 3 weeks ago and that seems to have totally thrown off our routine. So now if it's not a cold it's rolling over (most nights can take around 45mins/hour before she'll go to sleep. Then her teeth.
We put her down to bed at 7pm and she used to go through till 7am without a peep but now she wakes ready to start the day at 6am BUT also wakes a few times in the night :cry:
She woke once last night at 9pm, for nothing in particular, then at 11.30pm, 3am then wide awake at 6am.

Her room is completely plitch black. She eats enough during the day too so I honestly have no idea why she's waking.
I don't particularly mind starting my day at 6 (I usually get up at 6.30 anyway) BUT she's a total grotbag all morning and it messes with our nap times.
Oh and I still don't feed her until 7am so it's not as if she's waking for a feed (she doesn't finish the bottle either).
Is there anything I can do? It can be hit & miss, we have had the odd night where she'll go through until
6.45 with not one wake-up inbetween but I haven't done anything different during the day!!
Grrrr!!
I have a sleep obsession at the mo. Plus we're going to bed every night wondering what kind of night we'll have and what time she'll be up!!!
xx

Replies

• Oh and I forgot to say we've tried putting her to bed later and makes absolutely no difference!! xx
  • Well.......as you all know up until 4 months my lo was up pretty much every 20minutes from 1am then all of a sudden something clicked and he now does touch wood 12 hours!! We took the dummy away to so not sure if that anything to do with it or not.
    Last week he started waking up a 4.30am and moaning on and off for a while then going back to sleeo again. Well i've upped his solid food intake and the last 2 nights hey presto back to 12 hours solid. He has his bath at about 6.30 last bottle and in bed by 7pm at the latest. He then sleeps through until about 6.45am. He then gets up for a bottle and but 7.30 goes back down for another hour. I find this bit magical as it gives me an hour to get showered and changed run round the house and tidy and feed my horses!! He did wake himself up the other night cause he'd rolled onto his belly and woke himself up but once i turned him back he went back off.
    Seth wont stay up any later than Seven, by 6.15 ish he is rubbing his eyes and getting ready to go. I really dont mind the 7am wake ups, this is a lie in for me as i was always up at 6 when at work and hubby gets up at 6 anyway. Means we can get on with stuff and enjoy the day.
    Sxx
  • Thanks Hun.
    Oooo you are lucky that Mr S goes off back to sleep for an hour after 1st bottle. I really wish DD would do that, would mean I can get myself ready in a morning properly without rushing as I do now!!!!

Hmm, so how much solid food is he having now? Do you know in ml??
    I'm having problems getting purees into her cuz she's being a madam and wants to feed herself!!! Grrrr!! This could be why then. Who'd have thought a few less ml of food could result in an hour earlier waking?!?
    If that's what it is though hmmm I have no idea!! xx
  • Dylan's sleep is also hit and miss. No 2 nights have EVER been the same! Last night he had a feed at 6.15 and slept until 2am with no grumbles (this is unheard of!) but then did not go back to sleep until 6am!! (and only because i ended up bringing him into bed with me) I then had to wake him at 9. He spent the 4 hours he was awake moaning and then screaming but as soon as I picked him up he was silent and promptly fell asleep. I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with him but he is still in our room so don't think CC will work. I ended up trying to feed him to send him back to sleep but even that didn't work. Any ideas? I am seriously sleep deprived!

Will Ava happily chat to herself and play in her cot in the morning Kelly? Might give you a chance to yourself ready leisurely. She might even drift back off to sleep if you leave her for a bit (knowing she is quite happy).

Just read this back and i've kind of hijacked your thread! Sorry
    Jo
  • dd normaly sleeps 7pm-9am. She did go through a phase a few weeks ago of waking up lots in the night but thankfuly that is over with.
    Does she have a dummy?
    Is she waking crying or wanting to play?
    xx
  • Seth is now taking 3 lumps of savory food plus a yogurt or a fruit puree then a couple of carrot sticks lunch and tea and a large bowl of porridge for breakfast, got weetabix to try in the morning after all the talk of it on here!!!! He's also downing 3 x 8/9oz bottles of milk!!! Plus extra in his porridge. I am not force feeding him, if he opens his mouth i put it in!! lol
    Sx
  • DD normally sleeps 7-7 but recently has been waking at about 2 as she has rolled over, i put her on her back and she goes straight back to sleep.

She also keeps waking at 6 ready to start the day if she doesnt go back to sleep till seven then i bring her in with me for an hour she normally drifts off and i get the best cuddles!!

My OH has changed his hours at work and gets up around 6 now so think thats disturbing her, has any morning activity in the house changed at all that might be waking her?
    Like you i dont feed her till seven no matter what time she wakes up!
    Sorry not much help hun
    xxx
  • I've fed her loads today lol and i've tried something new - going to bed with NO dummy!!!
    I remembered that before she had her cold i'd ditched the dummy and it was working a treat - no wake-ups, no cries etc but when she got her cold i gave it her again for comfort. Forgot all about ditching it again so giving it a whirl tonight to see if it makes any difference.

MicMic - nope, nothing new going on in our house!
    She's a strange creature :lol:
    The only other thing i'm thinking is that it's the sound of the birds?? With it being pitch black in her room i'm wondering if when she hears the morning chorus that goes on outside her window, that she then thinks it must be morning??

See how tonight goes me thinks xx
  • Good thinking about the dummy. Good luck for tonight will have my fingers crossed for lots of lovely sleep for you
    xx
  • blowing sleepy dust your way! hehe

i never get 2 nights the same with my lo either!

lately my dd is doing 7.30pm til about 4am for feed and then back down til 7am, she has just turned 6months so its all food systems go now and hopefully a full nights sleep! image

good luck with no dummy! let us know how you get on!! image
  • Well it didn't work :cry:
    She woke full on crying and awake at 1.30am until 3am before she drifted back off again. NO idea why so I didn't take her out the cot, used ssshhh pat which usually does the trick but nope that didn't work either. I didn't feed her - she certainly didn't need it and I don't want to get into that habit of feeding in the night.
    She was on her front when I went to her but she knows how to get back so not sure if that was the problem. However I rolled up 2x towels and put them either side of her body (under the sheet) at just before 3am, she then went to sleep within 2mins with not even a whimper and that was her until 7am. I actually think she'd have gone longer but I heard the neighbour go out and slammed their door - it woke me then heard her mumble a minute later.
    So at least I know that it's not hunger cuz she'd still want feeding.
    Am reeeeeeeally hoping the rolled towels will do the trick.
    If not I'm absolutely stumped and no idea how to get my baby girl back to how she used to be, for her sake aswell as our sanity lol.
    Thank God for YSL Touch Eclat really :lol: xx