Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

Babies that sleep through questions

Hiya, for those mummies whos babies are sleeping through, is there are nack to it?

I put my lo dwn awake in his cot we have a bath time routine then i take him to bed by 8pm play his gloworm put his sleep sheep on and give him his dummy and sit with him till hes asleep.(Did try leaving him for few mins then going bck but found it v stressful and didnt work)

Hes waking at 12-1am then mostly every 2 hours after that. I try not to feed him at 1am as if i do he will only want another feed around 4-5am and i'm trying to scrap 2 night feeds. I want to get him in his own rm but there is no point while hes waking so frequently. Me and hubs have tried sleeping in spare room to see if its us waking him but still the same. So dont think putting him in his own rm would help.

Hes 18 weeks on solids 3small meals a day and 30oz of milk he is teething but i'm not convinced thats why hes waking.

Any tips? I'am so drained

Replies

• My little one has been sleeping through the nights since xmas (im so blessed) The only thing that i do different to you is that i dont give his last feed any earlier than 8.30pm, because when i do he will wake about 2-3am for a feed. So from 7.30pm he has some mat time with his 2 big brothers, then its bath time, then its pj's on up to his bedroom by 8.30pm then it's bottle and bed. Hope this helps.
  • Felicity goes from 7.30pm to 7am at the moment, no feeds during that time! So lucky.. Phew!

I do agree that routine helps, she sees me put my 3yr old ds to bed every night at 7pm, then she has a peaceful bottle, then bed.

Saying that weve had a couple of stretches where she night fed again, once being a growth spurt and the other when she was poorly. So expect a few bumps along the way even when lo is used to sleeping through!
  • Thanks all weve been weaning for 4 weeks now and hasnt made a bit of difference.

He has reflux so 6 oz seems to be the limit before he projectile vomits extremely.

He has a sleeping bag too a 2.5 tog and is lovely and snug ive put rolled up blankets either side of him under his fitted sheet so he feels hugged. Also i put my pj top in with him so he can smell me.

I've tried it all u name it!

How do u guys put ur lo to sleep? i'm thinking it may have something to do with this as he cant put himself back to sleep. He is tired after his bath and botle and then doesnt take long to go off (someimes i wake him up as he falls asleep on bottle!) i sit with him, hand on tummy while he sucks dummy. I then take it out when hes asleep.

:?

• Felicity sometimes dozes off taking bottle and I lay her down.. Or she will be awake still but incredibly sleepy so settle fine. If she stirs in the night, I pop the dummy back in and pat her tummy- not to different, sorry I cant help hun x
  • So more or less the same ive tried putting him dwn asleep too. So its prob just the way he is.

Just thought prehaps i was doing something wrong and he then wasnt able to go off on his own. Hes had a real screaming fit this afternoon so think these teeth at the front are giving him jip! Tried calpol last night and no diff.

• Think it just takes time hun, teething certainly unsettles them! F was teething for over a week and daytime naps were HELL! And even now shes not back to normal.. Think Im stuck with a fuss-pot daytime napper! X
  • hes been tething for a good month or more just wish these two teeth would come through. Seeing mw tomorrow so ask her what she thinks bout trying not to give two night feeds etc.

Such a shame coz i had 2 weeks from 10 weeks when he was fab just waking once so i know its poss!

• Anyone breastfeeding sleeping through yet?
  • I'm breastfeeding and nope! We do bath around 6, she goes down by 7.30 latest, (unless we're having a bad eve or I've buggered up daytime naps!), she then wakes for a feed when I go to bed around half 10, and was going until 5/6 and back to sleep until half 7ish, but I think we've hit a growth spurt as the last few nights she's been feeding every three hours again and every 2 and a half in the day. Yawwwwn, so tired!! She's 17 weeks, exactly 4 months today! Time flies!
  • Logan is on 3 big meals a day and a supper and drinking 5 8oz bottles before 11pm and STILL waking in the night lol!!!!
  • Just looks like some sleep and some dont regardless of what we do. I just wanted check there wasnt a secret to it!! Hopefully if i have another it will sleep a little better not worse.

How many spoons u giving lo snugglenush? I gv him bout 6-7 each time 3 times a day. I give him porrige for breckie, Veg puree for lunch bout 3 cubes worth and plum baby baby rice(its sweeter than others) more porrige consistancy and 1 cube of puree.

xx