Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dirty nappy question

My little girl is 17 weeks old, I'm exclusively breastfeeding and was wondering about dirty nappies, she has plenty of wet ones a day but can go for several days without a dirty one, and then when we do get one, it's normally extreme and ends up resulting in a whole outfit change! Just wondering if this is normal?

Replies

• Biba normally has at least one dirty nappy a day, but she can also go for up to 3 days without one - needless to say it always ends up daddy's turn to do the nappy when it's the 3 day old explosion!
  • Hi- I'm ff but my friend who is bf had this and the doctor said it's no problem at all so long as they don't seem uncomfortable. My friend's girl goes once every 7-10 days!!
  • Hi, saw this on the front page and thought I'd answer. When my lo was bf he'd only go once a week and did this quite regularly for a couple of months. His record was 9 days and then he decided to relieve himself in the bath... urgh it was horrid, but the look of satisfaction on his face was a picture!

If she looks uncomfortable you could try cycling her legs or rubbing in a circle on her belly (I think it's clockwise but you'd have to check) to get her system moving.
  • Tyler is ff and when he was first born i would get a dirty nappy every 3rd day without fail but from about 8 weeks onwards they are even less frequent and at worst its every 6 or 7 days...though once he gets to the 4th or 5th day i usually put a wee dose of gripe water in one of his bottles and im not sure if its coincidence or not but i get a dirty nappy shortly after image would also recommend leg cycling!!

I have also been told not to worry about this unless its causing him any discomfort!!

xx
  • I exclusively breastfeed Poppy and she used to go days without a dirty nappy and seemed really uncomfortable. When we got one, like you've said it was horrendous! We ended up taking her to an osteopath as I was worried about how uncomfortable she seemed and since the 4 sessions with him she has had a dirty nappy every morning without fail and is much happier! They do say that bf babies can go days but I guess it depends on the baby and if you're worried I'd speak to your GP. xx
  • Yippee!!! The site's working on my phone again!!!! Been months! I spoke the the hv about it and she said it's totally normal for bf babies, as long as it doesn't seem to cause them discomfort. She went 5 days and then oh my gosh did we have a nappy, it was unreal, I was so shocked I made hubby come look. And then I had to shower her off as it was so bad! Yuk. But she seemed fine so I'm not too worried. I honestly don't know what on earth I'm going to do if we get one while we're out as baby wipes just won't touch it!! :lol:
  • I was worried when my oldest went up to a week without a dirtu nappy.

Bf babies digest their milk alot fast than ff babies which is why they can go longer without a dirty nappy. Although from experience when they do its nt usually a small amount! They say about 7 days is ok for a bf baby not to do a dirty nappy.