Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

I've done something very naughty - but it worked...

DS has normally sleeps 6.30pm to 6am most nights but for the last week he has been waking up at 4.30am....I have been trying to hold back giving him a bottle at this time as he just seems to be awake and not wanting his bottle

I told my friend this (her DD is 2 years old) and she said to me....well, are you putting a rusk in his last bottle ??? WHAT ???????

so the last two nights I've sprinkled some of his aptamil porridge into his last bottle and bingo - woke up at 6am yesterday and this morning !!!!!!!!

so so so so naughty but it has got me thinking that perhaps he does need something just extra to keep him asleep those last few hours !!!!!!!

I really do feel quilty about doing it....but as my friend did it I wonder how many other mothers out there do it too ???

DLAM.....xxxx

Replies

• I think it's your baby so it's your call, my MIL did it with DH and as far as i'm aware it didn't do him any harm. I know they say don't put these things into bottles but can anyone tell me why? No one seems to be able to give me a reason :?

You can get this stuff called goodnight milk that has a similar effect of putting rusk or cereal into their bottle that might be worth a try?

Edited to add a link to the formula:

http://www.boots.com/en/HiPP-Organic-Good-night-milk-350g_1120659/
  • Wish there was something similar you could do to boobs!
  • I give Logan rusk with hot milk before bed - but not in hisbottle. You can also get goodnight milk like plumduff suggested that has cereal in it - I will start using that at 6 months I think.

• I have thought about doing this but i thought u would need a much bigger teat? My mum used to do it with us but she cut the teat.

Dont think it would make a diff to my lo as he has puree at lunch and baby rice and puree hr before his last bottle still doesnt sleep aslong as ur lo.

Was giving him porrige at breckfast but found he cut back too quick on milk therefore waking up for huge night feed and probably thirsty as he will only drink a 1/2 oz of water a day.

Might try the goodnight milk at 6 months.

xx
  • I think they say it can be a choking hazard?! dont hold me to that though! As long as it works for you hun! x
  • I went to a weaning talk last week and they said it was a choking hazard. But surely if there are no lumps in it then it's just like thick milk? It's your baby and they do say a mothers instinct is best. xx
  • Moomin-mama I was thinking exactly the same thing!