Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Formula - how long to store?!

I'm trying in vain to get my ds to take a bottle! He messes around with the bottle as if it's a game and then starts crying to be breastfed - very frustrating! Anyway, I'm new to formula feeding so I'd be grateful for some advice. The box says that you should discard any unfinished milk in a bottle after 2 hours which I understand. However, it also says that you shouldn't store made up bottles. Do you think it's ok to make up a few bottles and keep them in the fridge to use throughout the day? You can keep expressed bm in the fridge for 24 hours so I'd have thought it'd be ok to store formula milk in the same way?!

Thanks x

Replies

• Hiya,

I make 5 bottles up every evening for the next days feeds and Tyler has been fine, I dont keep the made up bottles beyond 24 hours though.

When reheating his bottles, I try and use them within 2-3 hours altho on one occasion I used one that had been unfridged for about 5 hours and he was fine....but I dont make a habit of it, it was just cos Tyler was having too much fun at his grannies and we lost track of time lol image

xx
  • Thanks Bryony! I thought it would be ok but just wanted to check what everyone else did image x
  • I make up every bottle freshly and throw away any unused milk after 1 hr. Milk is an absolute breeding ground for bacteria which is why they advise sterilising bottles for the first year (whereas you wouldn't sterilise bowls/ spoons for food etc). I'm sure lots of people make then up and never have any problems just I wouldn't.

What I know lots of others do is to make several bottles up with cooled boiled water and then add the powder when the bottle is needed. I think this is probably a much safer way to do things and almost as easy as making the bottles up in advance.
  • Hi,

I do the same as Bryony, I make all the bottles up before i go to bed at night for the next day. They are used within 24 hours and stored in the fridge. I did this with my older son too, and to be honest 11 years ago when he was a baby that was the advice that was given, and i've even found advice in a book the HV gave me telling me to do the same thing!! I've also never had a problem with upset tums from doing it so i'm not worried xx

And isn't the advice to sterilise bottles up to 6 months old now??
  • I boil up the kettle at night an put the water in all 5 bottles for the following day....

they stay on the side all day until I need them.....20 seconds in the microwave, add the formula, shake, and bung in DS's mouth !!!!

bish bash bosh.....

DLAM xxx
  • I make up about 2 (or 3 at night) in advance when we are at home. Although sometimes I may need to make a few extra if we going out or whatever (tend to have an emergency carton though for going out).

Logan has got gastroentiritis but I don't think it is from his bottles - I think it is due to the fct that he is at nursery and touching everything and then sticking his hand in his mouth all the time!!!

You have to do what you feel comfortable with really - h and I discard bottles after an hour if he has started drinking them but got bored.