Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeders - how many feeds a day now?

Hiya, just wondered how often you are all feeding now in the day - i was on a rough 3 hourly cycle with Biba but this often continued throughout the night, she is now (well for the last 3 days at least)only waking once in the night but the reason i think this is because i have pretty much stopped trying to wean and we're back to 2 hourly feeding in the day.

I would really love her to eat more but she just turns away from everything that i offer her be it baby rice or purees.

Is anyone else feeding as often as me or have any tips on how she can get as full from fewer feeds and still only wake once a night?

Replies

• Hi MM

I'm still trying to get lo to take a bottle, aaarggh!! I've got a friend's bday in a few weeks and reeeally want to be able to go out with my friends but not sure it'll be feasible image How much longer will this go on??!!

Anyway, ds feeds about 6 or 7 times during 24 hours (he sleeps from about 10pm to 7am, lucky me, not sure how long that'll last!). He feeds roughly every 3 hours but that changes to every two hours after 6pm. He's a total guzzler and only takes about 10mins to feed but must be getting enough to sleep through the night. We tried baby rice last week which he seemed to like (only gave one teaspoon at lunchtime) but haven't got round to buying more this week!

xx
  • Hi MM

DD has now been on 5 milk feeds a day for around two months - she's 23 weeks. She roughly feeds every 3 hours: 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm & 7.30/8pm (like happystrawberry I am V lucky and hse has slept through from 8 weeks). I have introduced her to food and she loves it, she's now having porridge/fruity rice pudding with her morning milk and pureed veg with lunchtime milk - I thought this would have stretched her feeding to 4 hours but she's remained consistant with the 3 hourly feeds.

Has she started getting nosier? I only ask as my DD kept getting distracted from feeding to either look a me, 'talk' or take in the surroundings - I would therefore think she was full. The HV said that it's common for babies of this age to do this and you basically have to find a way to get them latched back on....sometimes easier said than done :lol: she always does feed longer though so she had a point.

xx
  • I have given up trying with the bottle now, i remain a slave to breastfeeding! One of the reasons why we gave Biba an 8pm bedtime was to get some time for us, she was going 8 hours a night at one point, but like you she cluster fed up to about 11pm by which point she was overtired and took ages to get to sleep - the other benefit is that one of us then has a guaranteed few hours in which to go out (although it is only DH who has taken advantage of that so far) - could you bring forward your LO's bedtime by say an hour over the next couple of weeks so then you could meet up with your friends once he is in bed - if he is going 9 hours that should give you time for a couple of drinks and for the alcohol to make it out of your system?

Having counted up how often i feed it's now a total of 7 per day so perhaps not as dire as i thought. We will persevere with the weaning, she took to it like a dream to start with but now isnt fussed - oh well
  • Hi hun, i think we are in the same boat yet again, C is feeding a much as ever again and not sleeping at night. I tried babyrice last week and she didnt like it, i tried porridge this week and she didnt like it. Today i tried apple purree and that was excepted a little better but she just seems to want me all the time, i would like her to calm down a little on the feeds so i can get back to enjoying feeding again. I was hoping 1 meal a day might help us both out by giving my milk time to boost as her feeding so often isnt giving my milk time to recoup before she wants anoter feed. Like you going to start perseveering with the weaning even it is only 1 meal, the only upside is she has started drinking a bit more from the cup.xx
  • Chickedee, yes distraction was a big part although that has got a bit better in the last week!

Well my run of good luck ended last night, up at 1am, 3am (but not for a feed), 4am and 5.15am - when i was finally so exhausted that she came into bed until 7.30. She is very snuffly and her karvol ran out last night so am hoping that when that is topped up things may get better again.

Well done angel with the cup sucess, i must admit that i hadnt even thought of using the cup for a while, might try introducing that again.

bit of good news that i finally got presecribed domperidone yesterday to help with my supply issues, hopefully that may help to solve some of the problems too xx
  • we feed every 3 hours, same time every day, he was sleeping through the night from 8 weeks but now wakes to feed once and he literaly takes the 10 mins feed and is back down to sleep, i have had the odd night where he will go down at 7pm till 4 am but gone are the days of full night sleeps :cry:

funny you mentioned being distracted the last 3 days when ever he feeds on the left boob he comes off every few seconds and just stares at me then goes back on, strange, he also doesnt like it if i talk whist feeding.

HV is coming out next weeks to talk about weaning, and think then i will start him on 1 teaspoon of rice see what thats does, he is only 18 weeks so no hurry.
  • For us, it's every three hours on the dot. She was going from 7pm-6.30am with a 10.30pm dream feed from 11 weeks to about 16 weeks but that flew out the window. I was getting stressed but when I phoned the nct helpline, she seemed to think that's totally normal and having those five weeks was actually unusual! She does short 10 min feeds too and is getting distracted by everything! I'm still enjoying it, luckily, as I'm shattered and just recovering from mastitis, (I had no idea it could be so bad!), and I'm sure we'll soon be missing having that closeness, although it will be nice to have a bit of freedom back. So sorry your having such a miserable time of it moominmama. It must be awful. What is it that you struggle with the most? I have followed your posts but too tired to think back, sorry. Were you saying that you feel uncomfortable feeding in public and so feel housebound or was that someone else? Baby brain! Hope it gets easier for you.
  • Noah is almost 23wks now and is still feeding around every 2hrs during the day. As for nights, I really don't know what to say but aarrgghh!! Since Xmas he's been terrible and I'm lucky to get 2hrs out of him(an hr and a half was the longest he went last night!). I am completely exhausted as have to get up to get ds1 ready for school in a morning and don't get chance to nap in the day as he usually sleeps on the school run - typical!!

I've been trying with no success to get him to take a bottle for the last 6wks or so and I don't know what to try next! Got him weighed this week and asked hv for any advice and although she was really lovely she couldn't really advise anything that I haven't already tried. I fed ds1 until 4months and was planning on the same for Noah and never thought we'd have any bother as ds1 didn't fuss too much at all before taking a bottle. Just shows how different they all are.

I've been trying to get him to eat for the last few wks but up until yesterday he wasn't interested. But I did a teaspoon of fruity porridge late afternoon and he wolfed it! I've given him the same amount this morning and he went 3hrs between his milk feeds and I truly can't remember the last time he did that. I'm hoping it's going to get better soon as I desperately feel in need of some me time! I haven't been able to get my hair cut since the week before he was due and I know even being able to get that done would make me feel slightly more human!

Fingers crossed it starts improving for us soon!! xx
  • Hi fairydust, yes it was me feeling miserable and housebound - and to a degree is still have that feeling but in the past week i have reconciled with it a little bit and although i can still only feed at home I do not feel quite so hopeless about it. I will attempt to fit lunch with friends in between her feeds on monday so if that goes well i might start to enjoy going out a bit more, i am hoping that she will pick up with weaning a little because then i can perhaps give purees while we are out to keep her going until her next milk feed.

nicolaf you poor thing, biba was similar in that she used to go 8 hours and again since about xmas it's all gone a bit wrong, i think she has sinus problems (DH had this when he was baby)so being on her back for so long at night is making trouble for her - karvol really helps but at over ??5 for a refil pack which lasts only 9 days i'm really hoping that it gets better for her soon. I really hope that the weaning gives you a little more freedom.

I take it then that you have all overcome the mental block that i have about feeding in public - how did you do it or was it never really an issue?
  • I still don't feed in public, I've got nothing against others doing it but I'm just not comfortable with it. I have fed in debenhams cafe when I was out shopping with my mum but it was really quiet and we sat in a corner. Tbh we haven't really gone anywhere for longer than a few hrs because of this and it does feel so isolating. The couple of times we have been anywhere I've gone back to the car to feed him!!
  • It is isolating isnt it, i have considered using the car and i may well do that as well if desperate. The only time i have ever done it was in ikea, but their "breastfeeding room" was just a chair in the baby change, and i felt guilty being in there for so long so i cut the feed short and she spend the entire shop screaming for more image
  • I have no idea how I overcame it mm, as I was really hung up about it before!! I struggled to find any clothes that helped and felt so conscious I couldn't relax. I found it hard as well because I live in a small village and so know everyone so when we're out having a coffee, lunch etc, you always see people you know. Embarrassing when you're feeding! I got over this in a few ways. My very first feed, we were out to dinner at about 6 weeks and the second our plates hit the table, she woke for food. I was about to go out to the car and then I looked at my husband, sat with his plate, looking understanding but also quite self conscious as he's have to sit and eat alone for 20 mins and he's quite shy. So I bit the bullet and went for it, as we were in a corner and the restaurant was empty. Half way through, the doctors surgery turned up for their Christmas do. 40 of them! I figured if I could get through that!! I just kept pushing myself to do it, sitting in cafe corners or in the car if I didn't feel comfortable. I now use two tops to make it more discreet, a spaghetti vest top and a loose fitting stretchy top in the same colour, usually black! I loop the vest straps over my bra straps so it works like a sort of boob tube and comes down with the cup, I unclip my bra, and pull the stretchy top up slightly and use the baby to block the view while I get her latched on. I've persevered as I find it more embarrassing when she's screaming with hunger and people stare, as when she's feeding quietly, they just seem to glance & smile, thinking she's snoozing, or look away. I found nursing tops stressful as they just seem to expose half my boob! I think the main thing is to keep doing it, try and stay relaxed and it should get easier. I remember feeling that about feeding rooms, but just remember, everyone that could be waiting, would totally understand, and an extra 5 mins in there would make you both happier. M'care usually have quite good feeding rooms. Hope that helps a little.xxx
  • Justa quick one as need to go to ebd.

Feeding in public

Never bothered with bf tops. I just wear a long 3/4 sleeve vneck top with a strappy top underneath. I pull up top, unclick bra strap and pull down spagetti top and put lo to breast. The pull top down over breast so no skin exposed. If Im somewhere where it is busier and I know people will see my nipple (lol) like in toddler groups. I have a muslin or a wide dressy scarf with me. I tie the cornors to my strappy top and then attach lo to my breast under the scarf so no-one can see anything! Once I did it once and reaslised it was actually really easy to eb discreet then I was happy to go out and about. I did have to feed lo once in a changing room in tescos which I hate doing as it usually smells! If your are worried, practice doing it at home. I find it more mebarassing when he is screaming for a feed and Im trying to be quick. I tend to time it that I feed him before we leave to go shopping, then feed him i the car park afterwards.

As for feeds, Im rubbish with ds at recording when he feeds, hes generally good at feeding every 4hrs, sometimes 3 or sometimes 5hrs depending when he sleeps. With dd I used to right it down, more relaxed this time round!

The other day he was up at 1am, 3am, 5am crying and I did offer him the rbeast but he didnt want it. He ended up asleep on me. At 6am when he usually wakes he didnt the most pathetic little burp and then feed really well, this was followed by a sticnky big teething poo! Felt a bit bad as think he must have woken with teething, so the gel sits near his crib now!

Is she feeding from both sides during teh day? Is she feeding from one side until it appears empty before feeding the other side? My cousins two children both feed little and often, always have done some babies are jsut like that.
  • I'm still doing about 3 hours in the day (even though his on 2 meals a day) and 2/3 hours at night.

Recently found out his Tongue tied and hoping once this is sorted he might stretch a little more at night, as 5 months of no more than 3 hours at a time is killing me. Can't catch up in the day as have a 2 year old and lo never seems to want to sleep at the same time. Plus his terrible at sleeping in the day as well.

As for feeding in public I've never had an issue, tend to fond quite spots if possible, or throw a scalf over us. Done it today sat on a bench in Ikea, women sat next to me released what I was doing and just started chatting to me about it. I find most people don't notice, the ones that do are generally polite, the worst I've had is funny looks in which I generally sme or grimace at them depending on my mood :lol:
  • Well we've gone a bit backwards - at christmas it was every 2-3 hours in the day and I had 8 hours at night! That hasn't been the case for ages - the best I get now is 6 hours at night and that's VERY rare. It's usually every 3-4 hours - ie 2-3 times / night and every 2-3 hours during the day. Exhausting. He's getting a bit faster at feeding but more often. I've not tried weaning yet - he's nearly 20 weeks so I think I'll start on rice but how do you do it with breastmilk - do you heat the milk or just do it at normal temp? I was a bit confused about that! I was half thinking about baby led weaning but really want a full night's sleep, though some people say it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Breastfeeding out and about - I haven't had an issue since I could breastfeed upright (I had a c-section and for ages it was only comfy lying down). I have breastfeeding tops as I can't lift my tops up if I'm wearing jeans as I still have to wear huge pants & maternity trousers! I'm lucky that I have a great nct group and we all (bar one who couldn't bf due to having to have drugs which could harm the baby) bf in public so that's really helped. I also go to a breastfeeding 'cafe' at a sure start place. I've actually noticed other people breastfeeding occasionally and I wouldn't have normally - that's how I was ok with it - I actually think it's subtle if you have a cardigan or scarf or muslin to cover yourself up a bit. Try not to worry about other people - it's their problem not yours.x
  • Seems like christmas was a real turning point for the worse for a lot of us - how strange....

With regard to weaning, i have frozen down cubes of breastmilk which i defrost in the microwave, mix with the rice and then warm back up again - Biba wont touch it when it's cold!