Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help - sleep related

Hi All,

Sorry if i'm repeating a thread already on here but i need some help!

G used to sleep relatively well with a feed at 7pm and then again at 3am and then at 7am - he occassionally slept 12 hours with no wakes. We droped the 10.30 feed fairly early as he always seemed to have a distrupted night if we woke him or attempted a dream feed (he'd wake ever 3 hours if we woke him at 10.30pm)

When he turned 4 months he started to wake more and was emptying all his bottles day and night so i put it down to a growth spurt which lasted about 2 weeks.

He now goes down at 7pm relatively easily but then wakes on the dot at 1.30 - i started to think this was habit as it didn't matter how much feed he had (FF) he always wakes on the dot, we've tried re-settling him without a feed but he just stays awake moaning and "chatting" and then kicks off at 3am - all that time i can't sleep so i think i'm better to just feed him at 1.30. He is struggling to settle himself but i don't know if us going in helps as he just gets excited and wakes more.

He then wakes at 4.30 and "chats", moans, never cries so i'm unsure - do i feed him again? despite not a hunger cry, is this hunger or a sleep regression (although don't know much about them). I'm exhausted as i also have settling issues!! and can't get back to sleep so last night was awake from 1.30 to 5.30!

If its a sleep regression - is it ok to feed him when he wakes even if doesn't seem hungry or will he get bad habits?

He's now 5 months so there has been no improvement for over 4 weeks.

Replies

• Options
    hi hun,

sorry i cant be of any help but my lo is just turning 5 months and is doing the same sort of thing. Waking at 12am then i resettle him he doesnt cry but he would just lie there awake chatting.

Sleeps till 5am i feed him but he is very hard to settle back and he thinks its time to get up. He only took 4 oz so i know he isnt hungry a such and im hoping to drop this feed in the next few weeks. I dont feed at 10pm either coz i found it disrupted his sleep too.

Eventually he settled for 6am waking for the day 6.40am great!!!!

This is norm for us, he goes to bed at 8pm in the week and 7pm at weekends otherwise hubby wouldnt see him and he still wakes same times.

Hubby is going to fix a blackout blind in his room to see if that helps.

If i was you i wouldnt feed twice a night coz when i did this he was off his breckfast and i felt my lo needed to get used to going a long stretch without milk therefore drinking more in the day.

Think its just a sleep regression and lo has discovered he can make new noises and is waking up doing those noises.

They say learning new things can disrupt their sleep.

Is your lo doing anything diff?

Also i know what u mean i struggle to go back to sleep after being woken i roughly only get 6 hrs a night and thats bcoz i go to bed at 9.30pm.

Hope our lo's learn night is for sleep!!!

xx
  • Options
    Our lo has been doing the same

she's 21 weeks and was waking during the night - feeding then wanting to play for hours not good at 2am.

I may be tempting fate but the past 2 nights it seems to have settled to 1 feed. I've done 2 things put a larger sized nappy on at night and we're not waking up wet at 6am, and as we are weaning increased the feeds - I was giving her bits and pieces here and there, now I'm feeding until she stops taking any more.

As I say its only been a few nights but I'm praying we've turned a corner as I'm been surviving on next to no sleep for far too long