Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

anyone using annabel karmel?

Hiya

After not a great initial success at weaning i started on the annabel karmel programme last week, looking at her meal planner for next week she says to introduce breakfast at the early morning feed which for us is anytime between 6-7.30am. However for the following week she says to offer breakfast at the second feed of the day.

I dont understand the reasoning behind this? Im so tired that i struggle to even shove her on my boob first thing in the morning, let alone sort out some solids for her - did anyone do this early morning solids giving or did you go straight to the second feed of the day?

Hopefully this will make sense to those of you who are following the planner!

Ta xx

Replies

• I'm not following annabel karmel but I would offer at second feed of the day if it is more convenient for you! Logan has his breakfast with his first feed of the day but his first feed is 8.30am! I would do what suits you and Biba best.

• Hi,

I'm using Annabel Karmel, but only for the recipes. I started weaning back in December and we started with the lunch time meal. If thats easier for you then you should go with it. We're on 3 meals a day now and it does get easier xx
  • I try to give solids an hr apart from milk so he has an appetite. I give lunch and tea atm. I'm following GF weaning guide loosely although she says to give food and milk together. She says breckie shud be added when they start becoming hungry before lunchtime.

We started off great with weaning at 15 weeks and now at 21 weeks he doesnt seem to have the appetite for the amount of milk or solids he never seems excited about food and isnt taking as much milk less than he did at 6 weeks lol!!

xx
  • Well even though by a miricle she slept til 7.30 this morning we still gave breakfast at the second feed at around 10.30, normally this would be 9.30 but she got up an hour later - i dont think that giving solids at 6.30 is the way to go for us, as long as there is no particular reason for this very early morning business that the book suggests, i wont bother.

Also DH gave her lunch for the first time today, i have never seen her so messy!

Thanks for the replies! xx
  • I'm following the three week taster plan and I didn't get the early morning / breakfast thing either! We are now onto breakfast and I'm giving it at the same time as the last two weeks when it was 'early morning'. Poppy usually gets up around half 6 and has a feed at 7 so I give the solids then too then a feed at 10 and lunch at 1. Timings never work out exactly the same for us though as sometimes if she goes longer in the night she ends up having a feed at around 5am instead of 4 and that throws everything out! I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to the exact times / meals but just use it as a guide for which kind of food to give when. As Poppy goes to bed at 7pm I think I'm going to struggle to fit in all the feeds and meals that Annabel suggests in the next section!

xx
  • Thanks Mrs! It's weird isnt it, i promised myself that i wouldnt follow books to strictly following the baby whisperer debacle when Biba was first born, yet here i am again!

Will have breakfast when it suits us, and as you and others have said, will probably mainly use it as a recipe book and a guide as to when she can have what. x