Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

LO not feeding

Hi ladies. I'm a bit worried about Poppy - she was fine this morning, had a feed at 7am and a pot of 'breakfast' and was her usual happy self. She had a little sleep and we then went out shopping. She fed at 10.20 but didn't seem as interested as usual (I'm breastfeeding) and she hasn't fed since. She slept a lot while we were out and then when we got home just after 1 she was crying and I assumed she was hungry. I tried to give her some lunch (homemade mixed veg which she's had before and liked) but she just kept spitting it out and crying. So I tried to give her milk but she wouldn't latch on and was just screaming. She calmed down after a while and we had a cuddle but then she started up again and just wouldn't stop. I gave her some calpol and she was rubbing her eyes so I put her in the pram and we went out for a walk - she slept the whole time and is still asleep now. So it's been over 6 hours since she fed and she usually feeds every 3 hours. She hasn't got a temperature and she did a dirty nappy before we went for the walk and it was normal. I guess it could be to do with teething but I'm not sure. Have any of your LO's suddenly gone off their food / milk because of teething or another reason? I'm hoping she might feed when she wakes up but I'm also dreading her waking up and screaming again, poor little thing, she had real tears and was bright pink

:cry:

xx

Replies

• Just a quick reply, Sophie has done this once or twice, she's still just bf and has totally refused to feed, and slept tons, usually following a growth spurt, but had loads of wet nappies and went back to normal feeding a couple of days later. I'd say don't worry too much yet, just keep an eye on wet nappies, easier said then done though, I always worry when she does something out of character. I thought it was probably linked to teething too. Hope she's back to usual soon, the actual proper tears really really get me too!!!
  • Yeah Teddy went a couple of days last week when he went right off his food/milk. (I also wonders if it was linked to teething?) I've been weaning him a few weeks now and I'd just put him on 3 meals a day but he started to lose interest in his milk altogether and hardly drank anything in a whole day. (I think he had 3oz in 7 hours)

So, I reverted back to only 2 meals as he's not quite 6 months yet and I felt his formula was more important at this stage. He certainly made up for it in the next couple of days and had started taking an extra ounce of milk in every feed now.....?

I'm sure Poppy is going thru a similar thing but like fairydust said just keep an eye in her nappy's.

Xxx
  • Biba did this about a month ago, i was in such a state that i took her to the Dr's as she was just screaming as soon as I put her anywhere near my boob - managable at 3pm, not so much at 3am!

The Dr had never seen anything like it and the HV had not heard of it either, but it seems that a few of us have had it. Biba went back to feeding properly a few days later with a slow return to normal over those days, fairydust makes an interesting point that it happened to her after a growth spurt as thinking back that was pretty much when biba had her funny turn.