Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Miserable old man!!

Just been out to lunch with a friend and had lo laid on the table on a mat playing while we chatted and played with her. She was so good but she's just started 'talking' and so was chatting away happily. All fine I thought, but there was an elderly couple in having lunch as well and every little noise she made, he shot me the filthiest look and muttered to his wife like we were the worst nuisances ever. I felt really uncomfortable and stressed. My friend said she'd have just been noisier to spite him but I'm not really like that and get embarrassed. Not had this before and it's left me feeling a bit cross/upset. How do you cope when your lo's are noisy when you're out? A big part of me thinks 'screw him!' but another part is really shy!!

Replies

• Sadly this is the reason why i dont like going out, even if she starts to cry in tesco i feel mortified by the looks i get. I went out to lunch with a friend and by the end Biba was getting a bit grumpy and i felt like i had to almost run out of the pub with her because of the looks - it's awful that we are made to feel this way, i often think that it's the oldies that are the worst as they come from the children should be seen and not heard generation!
  • It's horrid isn't it?! It's first time it's happened to me as she's only just started getting noisy and now I'm worried about how I'm going to cope as she gets bigger and noisier!! I felt so bad on her too as I never want her to feel stifled like she can't be herself, I think I'm just going to have to toughen up or have more take away and lunches at home and in baby friendly places! We're just about to move somewhere much bigger as we live in a small village and I'm getting nervous about being in busy places with a loud baby. image
  • fairydust - I live in a city and I don't really get this problem as much. Maybe when you move you will find it happens less often. Plus the busier a place is the less it will be noticed!

Luckily I am not the kind of person that gets bothered by it - at the end of the day they are just babies and everybody was a baby at one point. Even that grumpy old man!!
  • What a horrible experience! Horrible grumpy old man! DS is really loud whenever we go anywhere but I haven't had any issues with it - thank god. I'd be really angry if I did. I think you should babble back next time - make any narrow minded people like that doubley annoyed!!! :lol:
  • people are honestly so miserable! I find i get it alot if im in a shop with the pram, people tutting and huffing etc let them carry on i say!

besides M chatting away is nothing compared to my 3yr old dd saying loudly 'mummy why doesnt that man have hair?' 'oo that lady has a funny hat loook' i could die lol xx
  • That's good to know snugglenush, I hadn't thought about it being louder so less noticeable. I was so annoyed with him, I wanted to say something but I think I just felt shocked that someone would be like that and only started getting angry after. I hate that, I always think of awesome comebacks way too late too!! I think I'm just used to everyone being really nice about her so was a bit taken aback by his attitude. I felt more sorry for his wife actually, they sat in total silence the whole meal and he just read his paper when they weren't eating! Rude!!

That's what one of my friends said wisher! She would have been awesome to have there as she would have gone out of her way to irritate him with googoo noises and high pitched giggling etc. Will have to try it next time and see if I can get them to move!!

L-B, there's always the ultimate 'mummy, why is that lady so fat?'!! I'm going to have to learn how to deal with all of this! I realised tonight that her pitch is changing, and when she cries now, it's like proper screaming.....she's LOUD! Luckily she only really cries when something's wrong. Oh well, it's going to be good for me to get a thicker skin.....and some earplugs!!! image
  • Right a few things to remember

You all chose to eat in a place that allows children

Children are not angels all the time - especially when they get more mobile

For as many people who give you the evils you will get the sympathetic/arhh looks.

How do you know he wasn't in a foul mood being dragged out shoppimg by his missus anyway when all he wanted to do was sit in his comfy chair at home reading the paper. Or it was simply when I go to that place I sit at that table .....

Its a case of trial and error as a new parent - you will find loads of places to go where you wont feel under so much pressure...

It's something I learnt over time with my first and I'm a bit more thick skinned now but you CANNOT put your life on hold because of one person. Get back out there and start enjoying getting out and about with your family
  • Oh don't worry jojums, I won't let it stop me doing stuff, it was just a shock as it was my first negative reaction and obviously, as I think every little noise my lo makes is a miracle to be celebrated, so I couldn't understand why someone else wouldn't agree!! :lol: It just made me think about the places I go to and how it'll be nicer for both of us to be places where lo can express herself till the cows come home. It was pension special meal day and they were tourists so hopefully won't see them again! I'm going to have to get on with it as I have a feeling lo is going to be a very noisy, chatty little thing.......which is wonderful, I'm just happy she has the self confidence to be that way.
  • Stuff em!! I live in a busy town and its baby and kiddies galore!

You find people like that cant function unless there grumpy and moaning.. He'd probably went on with his day getting angry at people who sneezed, walked to slow, were too tall/small ect ect! So dont worry! Victor Meldrews should be ignored.. They go to bed miserable & wake up miserable.. Its all they know! SORRY 4 GOING ON!! X X X
  • Hahaha palmtree! I saw the lady who owns the cafe and apparently, when her hubby was working at the hotel here they were regulars and once when he didn't get his usual table after someone else switched them around, he turned up at their house ranting and raving and poking her hubby in the chest! image Some people!! So my confidence is restored, knowing that actually, he is a complete victor, i'll rustle up a few more of my babied up friends to go next week, see if we can't annoy him further!!!!
  • Glad your feeling better about this, some people should just be ignored.

I find on the whole most people are very understanding with a lot of people trying to chat etc with them. As fairyfust say they are more embarrassing when they get older such as my 2 year old pulling his trousers down, pointing at his bits and shouting daddy in the middle of a supermarket. I backed away and pretend I wasn't with them :lol: Didn't work as my hubby thought it was funny and made sure I didn't escape :lol:
  • That's hilarious Jodibump!!!! I bet your hubby was in stitches, mine would be the same, luckily we have a little girl but saying that, I'm sure she'll find ways of embarrassing me too! image