Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Nervous about giving finger foods

Hi ladies!

Dexter has been on solids for about 6 weeks now, he is on 3 meals a day but is still on mush. I want to start thinking about giving him some finger foods like banana or toast but I'm worried about him choking especially as he doesn't have any teeth yet. Should I wait until a tooth pops through or can he have stuff now? What's the best way to go about it?

Replies

• Try it!! You'll never know until you do

I've started with things that get soft with a bit of gumming i'e breadsticks. If a bit stays in her mouth for a bit it just turns to mush that she either swallows or drools out.

I've also tried harder things like bits of melon or apple just to check/suck on.

We've also had a few cooked chips, carrot batons.

Most of it ends up on them, the chair and floor than in them but its part of the learning curve.

Can Dexter use a spoon to feed himself - give him the chance to feed himself at the end of the feed, it's another way to get him used to taking food for himself.

Don't panic if he chokes - it very rarely happens and as long as you know what to do if anything should you will both be fine.
  • He can direct the spoon into his mouth but then he just pulls it out without the food coming off. Otherwise he just shoves it in a bit too far and makes himself gag lol! Did you start with breadsticks? Would a bit of rusk be ok? I'm thinking maybe letting him loose on a bit of banana to see how he does with that.
  • just have the pieces of food big enough so he can hold it all in his fist then that again for him to place it in his mouth, steamed carrots, cucumber, melon, bread, spiral or penne pasta all good ones to start with, lots of fun

remember that he may gag a little which is perfectly normal its just him getting used to the solids, and it will come back up, gags are noisy so dont worry, its silent choking to watch out for. i had a little read up on baby first aid just to ease my mind for the weaning!
  • Try it - my only concern with banana is once it's squidged a bit it's very slimey and difficult to keep hold of.

If you havn't got breadsticks a crust off a slice of toast works as well. It's just got something to grip onto and turns to mush with a bit of drool - spread some banana on it if he likes that and you've got the best of both worlds.

Rusks are good but they crumble into nothing and you end up with a zillion sticky bits everywhere.

At the end of the day if he's not interested yet he'll throw it away no matter what you give him. If he is then he'll let you know. It's taken ages for Amelia to actually start eating the food as such she just plays more at the moment even then I'd say about 1/8th of what I give her ends up being eaten.
  • i#m the same!!

Have tried Logan on banana and rusk so far. He weren't bothered about banana at all but loved the rusk - only gagged on it once too. Jojums is right though - they are VERY messy lol.

Going to try toast some point this weekend.

• I went to a Baby led class which was all about finger foods and I came away thinking it was stupid and my babies werent ready but actually they LOVE finger foods.

I don't think breadsticks are a good idea cos they're really high in salt, although you can get baby ones (v expensive). I offer cooked baby sweetcorn, mange tout, brocolli, cauliflower, bread & butter (unsalted), tangerine (skinned), halved grapes or cherry toms, cheese and occasional treats like Ella's cookies, Plum spelt biscuits, rusks which I break into smaller pieces.

Sometimes my twins eat, sometimes they don't, but they love having a munch on finger foods, it helps with teething pain too.

We've recently moved onto meat & egg with mixed results.

It's VERY messy, but so what, it's how they learn. We've had a few choking/gaggin episodes but it doesn't put them off if you deal with it calmly.

Enjoy!
  • My two have been having finger foods for a few weeks but I'd say over the last week they have really got the hang of it (24 weeks today)

It's amazing how when they break bits off, it just comes back out if it is too big. And a few times when they have needed to cough/kind of gag a bit they clear it so well.

It really appears true that they move at their own pace with it as Lily took to it more quickly than William. They will only do with the food what they are ready for!

So far, they have had toast,bread, crusty bread, broccoli, cauliflower and cucumber. Naughty me given them bread before 6 months but other countries do & I did with my dd1 & she is/was ok. They did struggle with the cauliflower but I just made any left overs that I had cooked (untouched) into purees.

Going to try things like boiled carrot & used to give dd1 roasted strips of veg so will do that too at some point! And once they are eating more of the bread/toast you can make little sandwiches, I used to flatten them once made to make them easier to eat.