Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Returning to work - Nursery

Hi October ladies, hope you are all well.

A couple of questions . . .

Does anybody have a LO that they take to or plan to take to a "Just Learning" Nursery? I am looking at putting DD in one local to me and wondered how they charge? i.e by the hour or in block sessions such as half day/full day. Also do you know how much they charge? I appreciate that the rates will be different up and down the country but just need a rough guide really.

I had my LO signed up to another nursery (a Children's Centre) and had sorted out working hours for my return to work around this so I thought I was all sorted. But having enquired about something yesterday at the nursery, I was told that she wouldn't get in after all by the time I need to return to work. I wasn't best impressed.

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• i really need to start looking into this!

what questions / are you looking for when going round a nursery?
  • What is a 'just learning' nursery??

Logan is at a nursery 3 days a week that goes up to age 4. It's an ofsted registered and approved one.

jemcol - I didn't ask many questions I went off feeling really to be honest lol. They kinda told me everything I wanted to hear. But I suppose you want to know what kind of activities they will be doing with them, what is provided (ie meals nappies etc.), what about nap times.

• you will probably find that they will volunteer a lot of information tbh, you might want to check the staff to baby ratio - i think it has to be one member of staff per 3 babies but cant remember as had to book ours so long ago.

You will get a feeling from the place and you can tell by how happy the children are who are there x
  • Hi ladies

Snugglenush - "Just Learning" is just the name of the nursery. I think it is a chain.

Jemcol - I reiterate what the other girls have said in that the nurseries will volunteer a lot of information. In fact at the last nursery that I looked round, I couldn't actually think of any questions to ask. Things you may want to ask are things like how much deposit do they need to secure a place and check what childcare vouchers they take. Usually nurseries are quite chocca so ask them how long their waiting list is. They will more than likely give you a prospectus for you to take home and read. The pricing is usually contained within the prospectus.

xx
  • Hi,

I've been looking at pre-schools/nurseries which included one day nursery for my child turning 3, so a bit different. But, I agree with everyone who has said they give out a lot of information freely & you will get a good feel for the place by walking round it. I went to one I hated (they have a huge waiting list, don't know how they are so popular) and one that once we really got chatting to the manager I really got a feeling that she understood the parents perspective and my child would be well looked after & educated.

It's really important that you feel you happy leaving your baby there as that's the most important thing at this stage.
  • I've just tried to register G ready for October when i go back to work and they are all full until march 2012!!! eeeekkk
  • Well I had a look around this other nursery today. Staff were very attentive and were cooing over littlun. It was lovely and we were made very welcome. We were shown around by the Nursery Manager who had went through everything that I needed to know. There were only two vacancies left for July so I nabbed it quick with a deposit!

I didn't realise how far in advance you have to sort these things out. My advice for anybody looking to sort out a nursery to do it before baby arrives!! xx