Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

Sitting up

Hiya my lo is 22 weeks but isnt sitting up yet on his own. Hes been trying since 13 weeks but still cant quite sit on his own without flopping to the side.

Anyone else's lo not sitting up yet? He was born at 36 weeks so spose i need to allow for this but still u worry

Replies

• Hi, my lo is also 22 weeks (I think, sometimes I lose count!) and he can't sit up unsupported either. He sits in his Bumbo seat and Jumperoo absolutely fine, but sitting on his own is a no-no. I think the info out there in books etc is 6 months so I'm not at all worried yet. I think all babies do different things at different times anyway image

xx
  • My little one is just starting to sit now at 25 weeks, 6 months is about average but they can be any time earlier or a lot later. Think it's something like 9 months before they say to be concerned so you have nothing to worry about.
  • My lo is nearly 24weeks and has just started sitting for a few seconds, she still cant still all alone yet unless she sits in the feeding cushion.xx
  • Do not worry, technically from natural unassisted development point of view babies should only sit up after they start to crawl. That is from crawling position rocking back to sit up. That is how their back gets ready the best for sitting. So it s better to put the baby on their tummy, or back, rather that try have them sitting up.

I think my boy started sitting up around 8 months or something?

Matilda is now almost 6 months, and I dont really try to sit her up yet, she leans against me, or sits in bouncy chair, or jumperoo (a little) but mostly is on the floor to learn to do things in her own time.

xx
  • DS has just gone 6 months and he can't sit up unaided yet. He sits for a second or so then notices his feet, the tv, a toy etc loses concentration and falls over!!lol!!x
  • Dexter is kind of sitting up, he's better some days than others. It's funny when he slowly slumps forward til he splats onto the floor lol! I wouldn't leave him sitting on his own though I keep within arms length at all times. I think 6 months is the average for sitting though so I wouldn't worry too much.