Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

Hungry 6 month old

Hi All,

G is nearly 6 months and for the last few weeks he's been soooo hungry! He used to survive very happily on about 25oz a day. I started weaning him at 22 weeks. The last few days he's had:

7am - 6oz

8am - half an Ella's Kitchen brekkie pouch

10.30 - 8oz

11.30 - 5oz

12pm - a few ice cubes of puree

3pm - 8oz

5pm - a few ice cubes of puree mixed with baby rice and then some banana or fruit puree

6.30pm - 12oz!!! (bedtime)

I'd not be bothered if he was just on milk but he's having 3 meals and nearly 40oz!

is this a growth spurt or is he just hungry!!

I'm thinking of starting him on different foods soon as he's nearly 6 months but i just wanted to know if this was normal? I don't want to over feed him.

Lxx

Replies

• I think there is a growth spurt around 6 months but it could also be that he just needs more food.

I've almost doubled what Amelia has in the past few weeks - not surprising as she's put on another 1lb in 2 weeks. I've been making extra and feeding her until she's refusing food or spitting it out cos she's full. Sounds awful putting it like that but babies can't overeat as their bellies are so small.(so they say).

Her portion sizes seem to be settling down again after a week or so I may have hit the growth spurt a bit early.

Alternatively would a little yogurt as a snack mid morning help - it counts towards dairy/milk intake but has a bit more substance to it.

I'd be temted to try bigger portions and see how it goes
  • yikes I thought Logan was hungry hehe! Could you try some more substantial food - try some protein etc? Also introduce a few finger food snacks maybe??

Is he on follow on milk? Could that make a difference - the follow on milk is slightly diff. Logan started taking much less milk now and more food instead. (Still wakes up at 3am though image)

• I've tried finger food today and he's not interested, hasn't quite understood what he's meant to do with it!!! I'll stick at it though as i'd like him to feed himself/baby led weaning to be the main way he eats in time!

I'm hoping it was a growth spurt and he seems to have had a lot less today but we shall see......

He wakes in the night sometimes too but i've not been feeding him unless he screams the house down and most nights he goes back to sleep. If i feed him in the night he wont feed at 7am.

Lx