Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is anyone still breastfeeding?

I was just wondering if anyone is still breastfeeding, and how it is going. We are still breastfeeding, as well as eating a breakfast and lunch. I was going to try to go for a year, as this was recommended to me, but it is getting so hard. He has four teeth. Four sharp teeth. I do all the feeds. He gets up a few times a night to eat. It is still almost on-demand, but seems to be more of a schedule. I only pump sometimes, so I have no idea how much he gets...but he is big for his age...so, not worried yet.

How is it going for you? Anyone still doing this?

Replies

• Hi hun, we are still feeding. C is now on breakfast everyday but still bf for all other feeds, including a couple at night. She refuses any type of bottle so we are just going to keep going. I would like her to take a bottle now and again just to give me a break but she not for it. I will wean her onto her sippy cup during the day over the next couple of months as im back at work in june but stll intend to feed her morning and night. I have really enjoyed feeding her but now im kinda wishing i could just have 1 night off as im not getting much sleep and also im not ever away from her for more than an hour. But on the other hand i kno it wont last forever so trying to just embrace it while i can.xxx
  • Yes, i'm still going too. After months of nightmares with supply i have been taking Domperidone now for a month and feel like i am finally getting to enjoy the breastfeeding experience.

Biba is now on Breakfast and tea we tried to introduce luch this week but i dont think she is ready for 3 meals a day yet as she then wasnt taking enough milk and has been night waking a lot again - she has a milk feed roughly every 3 hours with 2 feeds in the night. I really know what you mean Angel about just getting a bit of time to yourself, i think i might try a bottle again with her as she seems to enjoy the action of water in a cup with a spout so she might take to a bottle with a fast flow teat.

That being said though she doesnt have any teeth through yet so i might not be quite so keen if i keep getting bitten.

Realistically i think that it will be a long time before breastfeeding is dropped completely and i do enjoy the quiet cuddle time we get at her bedtime feed so think that i will also be still feeding to some extend when i go back to work in August. I dont pump at all any more i find it too much of a faff and as she wont take a bottle there isnt really much point as i mix all her solids with cooled boiled water.

I think that when she hits 6 months next week i might try her with follow on milk to see if that suits her palate more than the other formula.
  • I'm still breastfeeding too. It's always gone well for us and I've enjoyed doing it - I said I'd do it for 6 months and Poppy was 6 months two weeks a go and I've been thinking about starting to introduce some bottles of formula during the day. At the moment she has a feed and then breakfast first thing around 7am, a feed at half 9, just food at lunch at midday, a feed mid afternoon at half 2, just food at 5pm and then a feed at 7pm which is bedtime. She also has one feed in the night any time between midnight and 4am (this reduced from 2 feeds when she started having food at 5pm). I was going to swap the 2.30 breastfeed for a bottle of formula this week but now that it's come to it I'm not sure if I feel ready to! I find breastfeeding so easy, not having to sterilise or make up any bottles and always having milk with me wherever we are as well as being a nice 'close' time for me and Pops. I know she will take a bottle of formula as my hubby has occassionally given her one but she's never had a bottle from me. I guess when the time is right you just feel ready to stop?!

xx
  • we were EBF up until thursday there, ds was born 31oct so im always behind you guys a few weeks! have started him on brekkie so far, just made some trays of puree veg there to get started on next week i think.

my HV keeps on telling me to bf up until a year, i too had thought ust for 6 months, but it is a wonderful feeling and an amazing bonding time with ds, before i know it he will probably be telling me to stop hugging him, so holding onto these moments for as long as possible!

he does have his 2 bottom teeth, so sometimes uncomfortable, he has never taken a bottle but will drink water from a sippy cup so i may start expressing and introduce the cup feed that way for a while before heading onto the formula stuff, i think i can see myself doing this for another month or two, shall see how it goes.

oh and he feeds every 3 hours, and then once or twice during the night, he is a big boy, i too would love to know how many ounces he takes during a feed
  • Moomin-mama that is strange, i noticed at the weekend, C loves her water from her cup, gets more exited about that than she does the food,lol.xxx
  • Poppy's the same with the beaker of water, when she sees me getting it ready she gets so excited and grins so much when I give it to her - funny little things!!!

xx
  • At least it healthy,lol. I dont see them getting excited about water n a few years,lol. Its so easy when they young, my 4 year old still gets excited about getting grapes.xx
  • I"m still bfing too - hope to until a year. I'm kind of weaning (he's not 6 months yet) but only half heartedly - I think I'm lazy at heart! He's 98th percentile so doing really well on just my milk, I just wish he'd sleep a bit better. We've just tried a bit of carrot - seemed to go down well. I'm going away to USA in May and not sure whether to take some expressing stuff - it's so easy just to bf - I hate all the sterilising!x
  • I'm still bfing too, think I'm too lazy to stop but going to give dd some formula tonight cause she was up 5/6 times last night. Luckily she has no probs taking a bottle.

I don't know how long I'll keep going for would love to get to a year but on the other hand would love to get my body back and some sleep - I change how I feel about it on a daily basis!

To be honest just so so pleased that I made it this far! I had real trouble feeding my son and beat myself up about it. x
  • I'm still BF and weaning combined. I'm hoping to get to 8 months then as i go back to work at 9 and 1/2 months, i'll be introducing a bottle then for her to have throughout the day and i'll do a BF am/pm before bed.

I'm still really enjoying BF and it's still pretty much on demand too as it's always been, despite introducing solids...B just loves the booby too much, lol!