Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

When to introduce meat/fish to weaning

my DS has really taken to weaning and loves my homemade puree of veggies.... he also has yoghurts and porridge..

I would love to blitz a sunday dinner for him but Im not sure when DS can have meat or fish ???

he's just over 6 months old....!!!

DLAM xxx

Replies

• Ive just this week started introducing chicken hes 5.5 months weve been weaning just before 4 months so weve been trying veg purees and fruit for a while.

The first time i puree a chicken dinner and froze a few portions and now ive made chicken casserole and put it in ice cube tray. So he has 2 cubes chicken casserole and 3 cubes veg followed by a fromage frais.

Hes only having 3 7-8oz bottles now so uppped the solids.

Think they recommend 6 months for introducing meat and fish but i have seen some books say 7 months. But i'm kinda following GF and she says chicken casserole/stock cubes mixed with veg from 6 months so it gradually introduces the flavour.

I just thought were 10 days of 6 months and lo doesnt have a timer in him that says i'am now 6 months so i'm doing it now.

xx
  • When DS got to 6 months we started - using Annabel Karmel recipe books which say from 6 months. So far he's had and loved chicken, beef, cod and salmon!!x
  • oh lovely...thank you for replies.......

will be trying chicken this weekend I think. perhaps not on saturday as we are having curry....not sure his digestive system will be up to that.....and I don't fancy doing THAT nappy...hahahahaha

DLAM xxxx
  • We started giving Dexter meat a week or so ago. I didn't want to make a massive batch of anything only to find out he wasn't ready so I got a few jars just to give him a taste. So far he's had chicken casserole, fish pie and beef stew and he's loved them all. I tend to just go by him now rather than rely on the books and hes been on just fruit and veg for quite a while.
  • I agree plumduff u should just be guided by lo. Like u we have been giving fruit and veg for a while so thought it was time. Think our lo's are born on same day. 26th?

• Indeed! I think we started weaning them at about the same time too. How is your LO getting on with finger food and cups if you've introduced them yet?
  • Ive given him a chunk of bannana to chew on yesterday but not quite sure what to do yet.

He has a bottle to cup trainer with a soft silicone spout so he can still suck he tries to hold it. Its a tesco one only thing ive found is it gives him wind because he has tt anti colic bottles so sometimes i give water from one of those.

Ive scrapped the 11am bottle so we have 3 7-8oz bottles and ive increased the solids at lunch. Today for breakfast he had half a baby wheetabix and a mashed chunck of bannana didnt quite finish it all. For lunch 6 cubes of veg/chicken casserole followed by 1+1/2 fromage frais and 2oz of juice.

Hungry boy! Going to go on to aptamil follow on milk end of next week and maybe his bedtime bottle i might try goodnight milk. Are u going to use follow on?

• I'm not sure, the only thing better in it is it has more iron? Haven't decided yet.

I've just today started to split Dexters feeds so he has milk a couple of hours after his mush. I'm not sure how its going to work between tea and bedtime though.
  • B has had chicken/lamb over this weekend blitzed into some veggie puree and she loved it. Have also grated the smallest amount of full fat cheese into brocolli and cauliflower and she loved that too. I read 6 months for dairy/meat/fish and she's 6 and 1/2 now.

xxx