Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Struggling with weaning

I've been trying to wean Noah for about 6wks now, but apart from his creamy porridge for breakfast he refuses absolutely everything else! I started with carrot, swede and sweet potato purees and have also tried other veg. I even bought some Ella's kitchen pouches and tried them incase it was just my cooking he had a problem with! Ds1 didn't have any problems with food and was a brilliant little eater so all this is new to me. Just wondering if anyone else is having/has had problems.

He's still bf but not by choice as he also refuses bottles and cups. I'm desperate to get some freedom from him so thought things might improve with some solids, but I just feel so frustrated with it all I really could scream!!

We're going on a short break next wk and I'm dreading it because I don't do feeding in public and he's still getting up several times in the night-we're staying in a caravan and it's going to be freezing through the night!

If only I could go back to when he was a few weeks old and introduce a bottle then, going on how ds1 was after he switched to bottles I know that life would be so much easier!!!

Replies

• Awh hun, Have u tried fruit puree? You could mix pear or apple with his porrige and gradually increase the amount of fruit? Or what i give LO for tea is veg with baby rice maybe he would like that more as u could mix it with milk.

Ive been lucky lo has always been a hungry little thing and hasnt refused anything yet lol! He really enjoys fromage frais plum baby do some with no added sugar or salt. They contain 2oz of milk.

Sorry i cant help more as i bottle feed but Have u tried all sorts of bottles TT are quite breast like and ive seen some called breast flow. Also there is a bottle called hadderman feeder the baby whisperer recomended it on her shows as it acts in a similar way to the boob baby has to suck harder.

Hope ive helped in some way, hope u have a nice time away

• Well I don't have much advice but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I have exactly the same problem. In fact, I could practically have written your post! My ds is also breastfed and flatly refuses bottles. He's now 28 weeks and I've been trying to wean him for about 4 weeks. I've tried carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, parsnip, apple and pear and he's not really interested in any of it! He's not v keen on porridge but will have a few spoonfuls of baby rice once a day. I had a little breakthrough in Mon, getting him to drink water from a cup. He loved it! I'm hoping I might eventually get him to drink milk from it but up until now he's refused it! I gave him some mashed banana today which seemed slightly more successful than the purees so might be worth giving that a go? I'm just hoping he'll gradually get the hang of it. It is frustrating though. Good luck, and if you find the magic solution let me know!
  • I think we will end up on freaky eaters when Biba is older, most of the stuff that she loves (butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot) is all orange, i tried giving her brocolli the other day and she seemed confused that i was giving her green food!

When i cant get Biba to try something though i always let her see me eat a little bit so she knows that its yummy it usually helps, perhaps you could try that?? We have been going a little backward with weaning as she is clamping shut more and more and after 6 weeks i thought we would be making more progress especially as there are some on here who are just starting to introduce meat! It is disheartening, have you spoken to your HV, she might have some advice?

I am completely with you on the whole bottle thing and going back to the start, we have had no sucess with any bottle, even the breastflow and even though she is intrigued by a sippy cup most of the water in it ends up on her rather than in her!

It's a minefield and one which there doesnt seem to be too much support with - i hope that he starts taking some solids soon xxx
  • Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I just wanted to mention something I read on another thread last week..... someone was having a similar problem with their LO and another lady suggested making the food less pureed, so effectively slightly more lumpy. She said her LO wasn't keen on the smooth pureed food but seemed to enjoy the lumpier foods more......?

Just a suggestion, I hope you manage to work something out soon.

XX
  • maybe try a more baby led approach? Try some finger food snacks like organix carrot puffs (they literally dissolve in their mouths) to see if he is interested in that?

• Not sure if you all ready are but try finger foods as well as this is a great way to introduce lots of different tastes one at a time.

I started this way with ds1 and he is the least fussy eater I know. Ds2 is a little more fussy but I didn't start with finger foods straight off as I was scared where he was younger when I started weaning. Wish I had though as his loving that and we are getting less fussy as time goes on.

Good luck
  • I've been really interested to see the responses you've had here because you're really not alone. We've also been trying for weeks with very little success. He now sort of tolerates a few spoonfuls (tiny weaning spoonfuls) of various purees but I wouldn't say he's enthusiastic about it at all. The only time he's seemed genuinely interested is when I gave him a HIPP organic rice cake and also when he sucked on a piece of mango I was having for breakfast.

I think because of this now he's hit 6 months (today) I'm going to try a bit more baby led weaning. I had been really against it initially although I think this is mainly because I didn't understand it. I have bought the cookbook (don't bother with the actual theory book as the cookbook has all the basics you need to know about anyway) and it has some really inspiring recipes in it. I'm actually looking forward to it now (hope i'm not on here in a couple of weeks time saying differently!).

Maybe it would be worth trying finger foods instead and trying (as BLW suggests) to go more with the flow of the baby rather than becomming fixated on stages etc as per traditional weaning.

I can't advise on bf as he's on a bottle but a friend of mine had similar problems with her lo accepting a bottle. They tried literally every bottle on the market and ended up with her eventually accepting the first one they had tried (tommee tippee)some weeks after starting. It was a while before she would accept a bottle from my friend though (as she could smell the milk when she was trying to feed)so maybe try getting other people to give the bottle initially if you haven't done this already.
  • Thanks for all the replies. Think I was just having a rant about it yesterday, it's so frustrating when you spend ages making purees to end up seeing them go down the drain!

We've decided that as he is at least eating breakfast we're going to give him a fruit porridge at tea time for the next week or so and then try the purees again. He had some last night and despite the fact he still had 3 feeds through the night,which is normal at the moment, he didn't do his usual of waking up screaming in between so even that brought some relief!

I've given him some finger foods, just the end of a breadstick and some apple rice cakes and although I'm fishing out the bits that break off, he does seem to enjoy it. I'd looked at the carrot puffs and think I'll get some when I next go shopping, for some reason it never occurred to me that they will dissolve in his mouth!

As for the bf, we've tried anything and everything to get him to take formula but it's just been a no go. We've tried 5 different types of bottles and 4 different cups but he's just not interested. I'm not sure if it's the formula he's got a problem with so now he's over 6mnths I may try the follow on milk-anythings worth a try!
  • hi hun maybe try finger foods instead??? xx gd luck
  • I was just coming on to post the exact same thing, we have been trying on and off for a few weeks now and C just doesnt seem interested. i starting trying with breakfast which didnt go down great so i starting giving dinner instead, i thought this was going ok but now she just eats when she feels like it, my mum had her yesterday and she ate 1/2 an ella's kitchen pouch for her and drank 3ozs of milk from a cup but today she wouldnt eat anything, although i think we have made a break through with the cup, she now refuses point blank to put a teat in her mouth but she will drink from an avent cup with the valve removed now and loves her cup with water in it and has now started taking milk from it as well, which is something. We did give her a strawberry to play with today and she loved it, so i think we might go down the blw route, she is 6 months on tuesday so she has to start taking something soon.xx