Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Finger foods

Biba is of the youngest on here (actually a november baby) so not sure if i am trying this too early. She will be 24 weeks on thursday and i want to try her with some finger food as i think she is quite disinterested in purees.

I have seen on other threads that some of you are giving rice cakes, bread sticks, carrot puffs and biscoti but having just had a pointless trip to the supermarket (forgot my purse was in her change bag!) I saw that the biscoti and rice cakes were for 7+ months and the carrot puffs said 12+ months.

What finger food did you give LO's and at what age did you start? I was going to try with fromage frais as well but am concerned as it contains cows milk but the packet says suitable for weaning?

We wanted to give Biba a piece of pasta whilst we ate dinner tonight to see how she got on but now i am a little uncertain that she is too young?

What do you all think????

Replies

• I've given both ds finger foods of what ever we are eating e.g. Ds1 first meal was a roast dinner so potato, beef, carrot, asparagus etc. Ds1 loved pasta was a little slippery to hold onto but a great finger food.

I've since read that you shouldn't introduce meat a fish till later but my son has never had any issues and will eat everything put in front of him (2 now).

Just make sure it's easy for her to hold and is reasonably soft. Easy to prepare things are banana, cucumber, tomato's.

Good luck with it
  • Thanks JodiBump, what age were your LO's though when you started?
  • I was very frightened of finger foods but started Logan on carrot puffs at about 5 and a half months and they were perfect cos they disintergrate in to nothing as soon as they get moist! I then got bravr and braver and he now has . . .

banana

bread sticks

biscotti

carrot puffs (organix)

rice cakes

toast

sandwiches

fruit slices

The ages they put on those things are just a guide and are on teh safe side.

• They were both just over 5 1/2 months.

You can give them pretty much anything as I went the route that it was not so much that they needed to eat it all at this age but get use to textures, tastes and feeding themselves.

I also do purees at the start but within weeks moved onto mashed food with lumps which as been working well.

Ds2 is a little more fussy that ds1 but I'm putting this done to starting him with plainer food as he was younger, correcting that now and giving him lots of different flavours both strong and mild as I want another good little eater like ds1.

Hope what ever you try works for you
  • Tyler doesnt seem to be into his purees either, not sure if (as usual) im just expecting too much too soon. He has about half a dozen wee spoonfuls of puree (tried both homemade and cow and gate stuff). Im a bit annoyed at myself as I started weaning him weeks ago and then he got that tummy bug with constant dirty nappies and I stupidly stopped weaning him - before the bug he seemed vaguely interested....could just be coincidence tho.

Have pondered trying him with finger foods, im para about making him sick tho, he was given half a rusk last week not long after finishing his bottle and he ended up gagging on it and puked up half his bottle. Another day I was out for lunch with my Mum who decided she would try him with a chip and again he puked EVERYWHERE....yuk, it was rather embarrasing.

So im not sure what to do, might stick with the purees for a wee bit longer and see how we get on
  • Well tried her with a bit of pasta last night which she gagged and then practically choked on but did eventually swallow it, i dont know if its related but for the first time in about a month she screamed and screamed for 2 hours at bedtime and then was sick all over both of us - i dont know, i'm finding weaning very stressful!

Snugglenush, i will try the carrot puffs then, it just took me back a little when it said 12+ months on the packet as i knew that you girls had all been using them fine.

Thanks for your replies x
  • G/C from DIS 2010 but my lil lady hung on til 1st October so I'm noseying in here :lol: I gave finger foods really early, about 16 weeks, she had great hand eye co-cordination and was close to sitting up so thought bugger it and gave her cucumber and carrott so that she could explore them with her hands and mouth but not be able to sucessfully bite any of it off but get used to having it in her mouth and learning how far back she could put things without gagging.

I can't remember how many weeks she is now lol but she has toast, sandwiches, roasted parsnips and other veggies, fish fingers, homemade pizza, banana, watermelon. Anything really image Toast and cheese spread sarnies were introduced at about 23 weeks. When we started lunch I wanted her to have finger foods as we're often out around lunch time so I could do her something to take or buy a sarnie while we were out.

I'd say if you are worried about the choking and gagging aspect then start with things that are very mushy and soft, roasted parsnip would be fine, or raw carrott. The thing that always scared me was when she started choking but most of the time she was just gagging, I always used to have to remind myself that if she was choking she would be silent. I would be sat smiling and eating with her and inside I would be panicking that she was going to choke.

We have had a couple of times where she has started choking but she has got it up, I lay her across my lap on her tum, slightly tilted with her head towards the floor and pat her back.

If you can it might be worth reading a BLW book, agree with Helen too that they will go by your reaction! Good luck, don't be disheartened by the pasta incident. Try again and try to enjoy it with your LOimage x
  • Sorry for thr super long post :roll: x