Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how much milk and solids are ur LO's on?

Hi all hope ur all enjoying the lovely weather. Just wondering how much food/milk u are giving ur Lo's just hope iam not over doing it but lo eats anything.

7am 7oz and 3 dessert spoons of the heinz baby cereal

11am homemade chicken casserole or sheppards pie with veg cubes prob the amount of a small jar. Followed by either a plum baby yogart or half a jar of pudding.

3pm 7oz

6pm veggies about 6 cubes and a plum baby yogart(if he hasnt had one at lunch) and i biscotti or a organix carrot stick but doesnt really finish it.

7pm 8oz

He has roughly 4-5oz of very diluted juice through the day too.

Replies

• We are currently on about 6 breastfeeds a day along with breakfast around 7.30 which is 2 cubes of fruit or some porridge mixed with fruit and tea at around 4pm which is 3 cubes of veg - Biba will be 24 weeks tomorrow.

She is not overly fussed on her solids i have to say.
  • I worry that Poppy is over eating sometimes too - they say that a baby will never over eat as they'll stop when they're full, but Poppy never seems to stop!! She has a milk feed (breastfeed) when she wakes up then breakfast at 7am which is baby cereal followed by some pureed fruit, another feed at half 9, lunch at midday which is usually homemade but if we're out she has a pouch and will eat the whole thing. Often she also has a rice cake or biscotti at lunch too and then another feed at half 2. Tea is at 5pm when she has the equivalent of another pouch followed by a little stars fromage frais or some fruit and then a feed at bedtime at 7pm. She also has one feed in the night still too. I also give very diluted juice throughtout the day and she's often finished her whole beaker full by the time she's finished tea.

I don't know if a 6 and a half month old baby is supposed to eat a whole pouch (Ella's kitchen or Plum)???! Especially at tea time when she has pudding too? Poppy's started to get very chunky, her thighs are huge and I'd hate to think I'm giving her too much!

xx
  • Felicity (when she's not poorly!) has this routine:

7am - BOTTLE 7oz

8.30am - baby porridge (125g approx 'small jar size')

11am - sometimes BOTTLE- may drink 3oz

1pm - lunch , cheesy veg, casserole, fruit, approx 125g

3pm - BOTTLE - 7oz

5pm - dinner, all sorts image again about 125g ... I use jar amounts as a guide for my amounts.

7pm - BOTTLE - 7oz 8)

About 4oz of water a day

Felicity is 6mths yesterday.

I dont think we can overfeed this young can we? You mustnt forget theres a 6mth ish growth spurt too which can make our babies guzzle-guts! X
  • Happy mrs, biba is 6 months today and she can polish off a whole plum pot - wish that she would eat my food with such gusto!

She has now started to have a plum yoghurt after tea which i was surprised she could manage.

Despite all my fears that Biba never eats enough her arms are so chubby i struggle to pull her sleeves on her sleepsuits down sometimes - hopefully it will all even out when they get a bit more mobile. I also glad to see that i am not the only one still offering frequent breastfeeds xx
  • I was having massive worries about how to feed Dexter i.e. the ratio of food to milk but I spoke to a h.v who was really helpful and supportive image so now Dexters day is like this:

8:30 - breakfast, normally 4 heaped tsp stage 2 cereal/porridge made up with 2oz formula.

10:30 - milk, at the moment we're only giving him 5oz bottles because when we first split his feeds the milk he was having went right down to 2-3oz but I think where he's getting used to it he's starting to build up the amounts again.

12:30 - lunch, about 2 big cubes of whatever I pull out of the freezer maybe followed by a fromage frais.

2:30 - milk

4:30 - tea, again 2 big cubes of whatever, if he's already had a fromage frais I try and put some cheese sauce or formula with his food. I might start giving him some fruit for pudding afterwards but he seems to be going off it a bit I think because its so smooth and runny.

6:30 - milk

8:30 - milk

I try and give him some form of dairy with all his meals so if he doesn't have loads of milk it doesn't matter so much. I also give him water throughout the day and maybe some finger food with his milk. Looking at everyone elses days i'm wondering if i'm giving him enough! He seems happy enough though and is still huge so I shouldn't worry too much.
  • I'am sort of following GF not for sleeping though its a bit hit and miss. Find this routine is suiting us and he sleeps well/better over night now norm 7.30am-5.30am then i re-settle to 7am and sometimes doesnt wake at 5.30am.

Hes got to be over 20lb now so hes a big lad. I dropped the lunch time feed and increased the solids and he dropped the night feed himself weeks before. I make sure he has at least 1 fromage frais and aptamil recommend 7oz bottles x3 so i know the milk is right but worried i was over doing the solids.

Have started giving him 1 carton a day of follow on milk but im sure its made him windier so may stick as he eats so well. Shame im guna miss out on 3 for 2 lol!!!

xx
  • i am a bit worried about whether i am doing it right too but have been quite led by logan. Him being at nursery 3 days makes it difficult to monitor fully too. We get a diary but it not alwa enough.

Here is our routine Logan is almost 7 months.

8am - hipp organic cereal. 6 heaped dessert spoons.

9am - 6oz

11am - 12am (11 if at nursery) lunch followed by 6oz. Lunch a couple of ice cubes worth or a pouch followed by fruit.

3 - 4 tea followed by 6oz. Same as lunch followed by pudding.

7pm - 6oz

11pm - 6oz

Through the day he will have snacks and quite alot of water.

• I don't think B has a full switch cuz she has never once given me signs she's full unless i miss them!! BF is still as and when she wants and is very much still her main source of food but we have a vague pattern to our day eating wise:

6-7am - big BF

8-9am - 4 heaped tbsp of baby muesli/porridge or 3/4 baby weetabix made with formula - sometimes i add a mashed/pureed fruit

Nap

11-12 ????- BF

12-1pm - 2-3 cubes of veg - started to add meat or cheese. Petit filou for pudding or 1/2 jar pudding or fruit.

Nap

2-3pm - BF

Nap

5.30-6.30pm - 2-3 cubes fruit or biscotti with formula. If we're out then she'll have 3/4 jar or pouch.

8pm -????10pm - BF x2 before settling for the night.????

(anytime from 1am to 4am, B will have one or two more feeds!)

She also drinks some baby juice with water from a beaker which she quite likes. I have no idea if and when i should be reducing milk feeds - eventually when i go back to work then i'll just be doing a morning/night feed but i'm hoping B will drop them herself in time.

xxx
  • Just wanted to add to my post, i've started putting 2oz formula in with his breakfast and 1oz in each of his meals (1 in the main and 1 in the pudding) so he ends up with about another bottles worth of formula in his food. It's just as well he only had 2 and a half oz of milk just before bed. Hoping he still sleeps through!
  • OMG......my DS is down to two bottles of milk a day...

6am - 8oz bottle

10am - porridge and a drink of water from his sippy cup

1pm - 5 ice cubes of veggies and two yoghurts and water to drink

4pm - 4 ice cubes of mash potato and veggies and one yoghurt

7pm - 8oz bottle of milk

we used to give him a bottle at 1.30pm but he now rejects it.....he still sleeps from 7pm to 5.30am so he's not waking up starving !!!!!

DLAM xxxxx

ps.......should he be having more milk ??????
  • Nah DLAM that sounds fine. Apparantly it is around 20oz they should be having so he only having a little bit under that. I wouldn't worry. But I would invite your DS round to have a chat with my little man please!!! He having twice as much milk and food and STILL isn't sleeping through lol!!

xxx
  • Yeh they only need 20oz a day were on 21-22oz with 3 meals. Just hope im not over feeding. Was thinking of giving him goodnight milk. But i read today that its not advised if your lo is over weight. Hes 20lb and over 91st centile so dont know if i should use it? He still wakes at 4-5am but has no feed but just needs resettling.

A few nights ago i gave him a carton of hungry milk at bed and he slept through but the following night he woke so may have been coincidence.

Anyone using goodnight milk? I know uve mentioned it snugglenush how did logan take to it?

xx
  • Yeah we are using it but I am thinking of stopping. It hasn't made THAT much difference adn I am worried about over feeding him. Logan is over 20lb now. It never made him sleep through so tonight I am trying him back on the normal milk - ill let you know what happens.

• Thanx would be good to know if it does make a difference thinking that i may give a bottle of this milk to lo when hes on cows milk at 1 as it goes out of date next may. At least then he will get some extra nutrients.

Think i read it can be used up to 3 years old?

xx
  • im still trying to figure out the weaning lark you hear so many do's and donts!

ds is just hitting the 6 months thisweekend and has been weaning for 3 weeks

6am - bf

9am bf and 5tsp porridge

12 -bf

3pm - bf and 5 cubes veg or fruit

6pm - bf

7pm - asleep

he wakes once or twice for a night feed -cant wait for him to start sleeping through night again.

trying to express so he gets used to milk in cup and should really give him more water than what i do.

when do you start giving them a lunch feed too?

what brand of yogs are you all using?
  • jemcol - giving lunch is still very hit and miss and we've been weaning for 8 weeks. We started giving it after about 3 weeks but tbh, i still don't know if she's all that fussed by it!! As for fr. frais - i give B Petit Filou and she loves them.

SF xxx
  • We have been weaning for a few weks now an di havent introduced lunch yet, C just doesnt seem interested in it. We have finally got her happy with breakfast and she is getting there with dinner (some things more of a hit than others). I said i was going to introduce lunch this week, she is 28weeks now but i will see how she goes. we use petit filou or plum baby yogurts, she seems to like pf better.xx
  • I started introducing lunch at 5.5 months and dropped the milk and upped solids and started giving meat and veg and a yog.

I give him plum baby as they have very lil sugar and he loves them ??1.70 for 6 so pretty expensive though.

Weve also tried yeo valley ones but they have a bit more sugar in them.

Tried the petit floius natural ones as i thought i could add my own purees but they were disgusting so sour and its the only thing lo has ever refused. I tried them myself with jam and they are still sour. yuk!

xx