Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

cough and eating advice pls :-(

Felicity has a horrid cold/cough.. image she dosnt seem overly fussed about food or milk and is drinking probably half the formula she normally does.

The problem is, when I offer her puree, she starts her coughing, the force of coughing makes her gag then vomits the puree PLUS the milk shes had image . shes fully weaned on 3 meals a day and is 6mths today..Should I offer just two purees a day to limit the vomiting and milk-loss? Just until shes better? HELP!

Replies

• Options
    Hi, don't know whether I can help or not. My Samantha is now 16mths old but she too had a stinking cold/cough at around 7mths old. At the time I took her to the GP who told me to encourage her to drink plenty of fluids reducing milk slightly and substituting previously boiled water which is easier on the stomach so should stay down easier. To top up on the dairy she was losing from drinking less milk I was advised to feed fromage frais. It seemed to help her eat and drink more until she recovered and regained her normal appetite. Best wishes and good luck.
  • Options
    Are you giving her the puree immediately after her milk?

If so, could you give her the puree first instead?

Teddy was vomiting quite a lot, to the point where I actually got quite upset, but we peservered and he seems much better now.

Best of luck hun, keep us posted x
  • Options
    Theres usually a 1.5 - 3hr gap between milk feeds and puree.. Its heartbreaking seeing her poorly.. Such an evil cough. We all have it though..

Thanks for the advice girls, hope it passes soon image
  • Options
    Hi Palmtree I have not been on here in ages and when I read your post Jack is the same.

Jack has a chest infection and really nasty cough he is normally on 3 meals and milk, everytime I try him on a veg and meat puree he gags and chokes (normally fine). I think because they are coughing so much it is making their throat sore so any stodgy potato puree gets stuck.

For the time being I am upping milk and giving fruit puree.

Hope she is feeling better soon x x