Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Choking

Hi honey, sorry to hear what you're going through though sadly the retching and choking can occur whilst they are learning what to do with their solid food. Try offering a softer finger food such as a banana, it'll encourage the hand to mouth co-ordination and should prove easier to swallow whilst starting out. I didn't offer rusks/toast/rice cakes until my DD had cut her first four teeth as I felt she'd be able to chew easier. Hope this helps, good luck

Replies

• Options
    im the same as you, making puree lumpier as the days go on, we did try him the other day with a slice of apple and he does have his bottom teeth ut he just bit a chunk - well a tiny piece but thats all thats needed - and choked on it, his face went so red, i think my mum thought i wasnt going to do anything as before i could do anything she grabbed him from my arms and had him facing down slapping his back!

my concern is how to get him out of the high chair quick enough.
  • Options
    Mrs LD that is EXACTLY what happened to Teddy a couple of weeks ago. Everything I gave him seemed to make him gag, including toast and apple, and he'd end up throwing up all over the place and, like you, we had to do the back slapping thing on a couple of occasions. Scary as hell!!

I went to a mother and baby group and spoke to one of the health visitors and she suggested trying peeled grapes and banana. (things that will slide down more easily) I found letting him watch me chew seemed to help him too. I also steamed some apple to soften it a bit which seemed to help.

To be honest I think it's just a case of perseverence, the more experiences our LO's have with finger foods the more they'll get used to it.

Teddy has gone from gagging with every mouthful to now only gagging maybe once every feed and there's no puke!!

This week he's had pasta twirls, broccoli, chicken and Organix tomato slices and I can definitely see an improvement with how he's chewing his food.

Keep us posted how you get on,

KM x