Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bottle questions!

I've recently started giving a bottle of formula in the afternoons to replace a breastfeed and I worry that I'm doing it all wrong!! So I wondered if you lovely ladies could answer some questions...

How long does the bottle stay sterilised for inside the microwave steriliser?

Can you keep cooled boiled water ready for a feed so that you aren't having to boil water before each feed? Yesterday I got home just before the feed time and Poppy was going mad as she wanted milk but I had to wait for the boiled water to cool!

If you make up a bottle and LO only takes half of it how long can you keep it or - I know it's not long, but could you try again in say an hour or is that too long?

Sorry so many questions but everyone I've asked seems to say different things. xx

Replies

• Options
    I think Helens right its about 6 hours but to be honest I just sterilise once a day and Dexter has been fine, I just don't take the bottles out.

With the water I have a TT flask which I keep by the kettle, I top it up with boiling water throughout the day and its really good at keeping the water warm. Otherwise if it is too hot I just add the powder then run it under the cold tap for a bit - try telling a baby they've got to wait 30 minutes!

Again in regards to how long it can be kept I agree with Helen, 2 hours sounds about right.
  • Options
    I do it the same as plum duff! We are on 3 bottles only now and i must admit i use a carton at the 3pm feed and it seems to stop lo getting blocked up as its easier to digest as its UHT.

• Options
    hi - as for sterilising i just sterilise once a day. They don't techically need to be sterilised at all now they are over 6 months but we still are.

I make bottles a few hours before we need them. Once LO has started drinking from them they are Ok for an hour but no longer cos of the bacteria that is transferred from LOs mouth.

• Options
    I only sterilise once a day too and always have done. D is on prescribed milk which needs to be added and mixed with room temp water so I boil and pour the night before, leave the bottles on the side and add the milk when needed. He likes his bottle at room temp so much easier although I have heated them up with the microwave before now and just stirred well to get rid of hot spots!x
  • Options
    This is handy for me when i start bottle feeding next week image
  • Options
    Since DS was born I have always sterilised all the bottles at night, fill them with boiled water and left them on the side for the following day

when I needed one, I would put it in the microwave for 20 seconds...shake to get rid of hot spots and add the formula....

a quick shake and bung the bottle in his mouth....

Hope that Helps ....

DLAM xxx
  • Options
    Hey hun,

Check your steriliser for instructions as sterile periods can vary- from as little as 20mins Im told image . I used to cold water sterilise, however I stopped sterilising for Felicity altogether last week and alls dandy, stopped at same age with ds too. As long as you wash well in hot soapy water then it really isnt an issue. image

My sma tin says keep a used milk no longer than two hours, I just stick to that guideline..

Can I ask a Q here? Can our lo's have cows milk on cereal? I know not as a drink till 1yr, and ok in cooking, but I read conflicting info on adding to baby cereal!?
  • Options
    Yes they can!!!

Logan has weetabix with hot milk in the morning. As long as they are not having it as a rpelacement for formula/bm it is absolutely fine. Oh and as long as it is whole milk.

• Options
    Thanks ladies this is really helpful image xx