Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010

Gastroenteritus

Well after 7 days of my 3yr old being Ill with it, M has now caught it! She was sick so much last night, i sat up all night just watching her incase she was sick and choked on it. I managed to get some water into her which stayed down and her nappies are wet (not AS wet as usual but still wet)

She is weaned on three meals a day and three bottles, but so far has taken 2 bottles before 10am, should i ofer she solids today? Or just stick to the milk as atm it seems to be staying down. Im thinking of just trying a small yoghurt at dinner.

Its so worrying as shes still so young, but im just not sure what i should be offering, i know i need to keep her fluids up but will solids irritate her tummy? My dd was unable to keep anything down on the first day :/ xx

Replies

• Oh poor thing hope she gets over it soon. I wouldn't worry too much about solids today just make sure she stays hydrated.
  • aww the poor wee thing, its so awful when they get ill, i agree i would just get fluid into her. Hope they both better soon.xxx
  • Logan has this a month or so back. Doctor said to stick with the solids still just maybe more bland food. Logan had alot of porridge and things like plain carrot etc. are quite good for them.

We also gave him dioralyte. If you go to the doctors they will give it you on prescription to stop her getting dehydrated.

Hope she is feeling better soon!!

xxx
  • Oh it's horrible - hope M gets better soon. D had it back in Feb and ended up overnight in hospital as he couldn't keep anything in either end! We had to force feed him dioralyte (mixed with squash) and he could only have this (no solids or milk) for 3 days.x
  • Really feeling for you ds1 had this when he was 1 and we ended up in hospital as he couldn't keep anything down and got so dehydrated he ended up on a drip.

From what I remember they were not fussed with the solids but I was to keep offering small amounts but to mainly make sure he was getting water and if possible milk down. Had a nightmare after as he went off milk and it took nearly 5 months or about to get him to take any again.

Hope it passes soon and make sure you take care of yourself as well if possible.
  • I would echo what the girls have said and just keep the fluids going and not worry about solids. Poor little thing :cry:

Get well soon M! xxx
  • Thanks for your replies, we've been lucky so far, she hasnt been too bad but with dd1 it eased off and then started again, she only just getting over it now 10 days later so im not getting my hopes up for M yet!

she had mostly milk yesterday and today ive given solids again, she's still smiling through it too bless her! xx