Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How is everyone?

Hi,

Just thought I would check in and find out how you are all doing?

I am pretty good, very tired I am sure some of that is down to being pregnant and some down to my little 7 month old waking through the night, I think its probably his teeth although he hasnt ever really slept right the way through. i am a little bit sicky but mostly if I havent eaten for a while so am trying to snack between meals.

I called the HR team in my company today to discuss where I stand with regards to MAT leave, they were very helpfull and told me what I was expecting, that being that I would only be entitled to MAT pay if I work for the 8 weeks leading up to week 29 of my pregnancy and I would need to earn at least ??97 to be able to claim SMP, I have asked them to let me know how many hours I would need to work to earn ??97. Me and hubby will have to have a serious chat and figure out what is best for our baby and the one on the way. We can manage on his wage but would have to b carefull. I really dont want to go back, I wasnt treated great when I left to go on the maT leave that I am on now and cant imagine considering the curcuimstances I would be welcomed back for just 8 weeks with open arms (cant say that I would blame them)!

Sorry I have turned this into a bit of a rant, obv needed to vent.

Replies

• Hey vix

That is a tough situation with your work Hun and don't know what to advise apart fro

To do whatever will cause u the less stress in the long run, if u can cope comfortably and won't have to stress about money without the smp or maternity then avoid the stress of going back but if it will be very tight it might be worth the stress of sticking it out for 8 weeks. At the end of the day if that is there rules they cannot penalise u in the workplace if u make that decision

My symptoms have really ramped up this week and I am beginning to feel pretty awful! I can't eat in time now in the morning without being sick, although cause I have not eaten I just heave and retch and bring up bile which hurts like hell! The tiredness has really kicked in and I cannot keep my eyes open and the last 2 days have had awful headaches! But strangely I would not have it any other way lol x
  • bless you hun xxx what a slog, would tax credits help??

i only work part time as i have a 2yr old daughter who i look after and hubs works full time x we make ends meet and try and save, im also very lucky that my family all live close by and if i need to work extra hrs the look after belle x

im just 10 weeks and feeling so rough, wasnt really sicky with belle but this pregnancy im feeling it all the time x

not really that tired but running about after my 2 yr old im kinda used to it and working in a busy dept store lol.

would they allow you to move to a different dept for 8 weeks?? xxx
  • Hi,

The work situation sounds like a pain. Have you looked into Maternity allowance? One of my friends took a full years maternity leave and then handed her notice in (and was currently pregnant again), and because she was employed for a period of her pregnancy she is entitled to 9 months maternity allowance after the baby is born (I think the same rate as SMP for the whole 9 months). I'm not sure of the exact details but it may be worth looking into.

I'm doing well, I'm not really suffering with sickness just the odd bit of queasiness now and then. Although I do feel shattered and am taking to napping some times whilst my DS naps!
  • Evening!

Thanks for your replies!

I have had a think about the work situation and i think as long as my manager isnt a pain re hours then i will go for it, its only going to be a couple of days a week for 8 weeks and it will make life much more comfortable for us when baby number 2 arrives.

Sounds like we are all having the same symptons I am so tired today, went for quite a long walk and have done myself in, might go on up to bed as soon as lo is in bed.