Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When are you planning on going on Maternity Leave?

Last time with DS1 I took my 4 weeks annual leave at 36 weeks then started mat leave on due date then LO was 1 week late so I was off 5 weeks before LO was born.

OMG it dragged soooo much and I put on so much weight haha

This time I am using my annual leave for family holidays and days out with DS1. So I will only have 1 week AL. I was thinking of finishing work at 38 weeks this time

How about you?

12+0

Replies

• Last time I went off at 36 weeks and this time I plan to go off at 31 weeks take 4 weeks annual leave and then start maternity leave at 36 weeks x I want to have as much time at home with DS as possible before new baby arrives x plus having only come back to work this week, I wouldn't be allowed to take my whole years holiday entitlement between now and when baby arrives so it works out best for me and DS x can't wait to be on maternity leave again lol x
  • tbh i havent even thought about it, will prob work till 38 weeks and then take mat leave from then x ? x
  • Really dont want to be at home bored and on my own towards the end-so plan to work as long as I can.

Im think about taking two weeks of Annual Leave before I leave on Mat leave. Baby number one for me-so I anticipate an 'on time' or late baby-but who really knows?!

xDx
  • Think I will end up going at 36 weeks due to a health issue I am being monitored for but I'd like to hold on for longer as like NewMrsM this is my first so am expecting to go over due!

BB xx
  • With my DD I worked until 39 weeks and then went 12 days over so had nearly 3 weeks off before baby arrived and that was perfect for me.

This time, I am not sure what I am going to do - I also want to spend as much time as possible with DD before this baby arrives and I anticipate being more tired this time with DD to look after as well so I was thinking of finishing around 35 - 36 weeks. I currently work 3 full days a week but am currently in the process of requesting to reduce my hours to 3 x 5 hour days, I think how long I last will depend slightly on whether my request is successful or not - currently keeping fingers crossed.

Amme

14 + 1
  • I suppose it also matters when you plan to go back, I want to take the 1 year and think the more before the less after.....I guess also I will see health wise later on as if the first tri is anything to go by I will go off asap!

12+0
  • I suppose that is another thing, I don't plan to go back after number 2 arrives so doesnt really matter when my maternity leave finishes x x
  • Hi!

I am on MAT leave now due back at the end of June, however, I have been speaking with my HR team who have advised that I could take holiday from the begining of June to the middle of June and the 4 weeks parental leave (unpaid) which would take me to 29 weeks. Meaning I wouldnt need to go back at all!!!

With DS now 8 months old I took 4 weeks AL from 33 weeks and then went onto MAT leave from 37 weeks, he was 9 days overdue! But I loved being able to chill out, he was born in August so it was very hot and it was great not having to go outside if I didnt want to!

• lol at what i wrote, hubs just looked over my shoulder and laughed at 38 weeks , i said whats wrong with that, he said well last time belle came at 37 weeks and doc said i will at a push last till then this time, so scrap what i said, hubs says im best to go on mat leave about 35/36 weeks, im still not sure as i only work partime and its not that hard and the further along i get the lest they will let me do and i still get paid for it and also i dont really know how my holiday pay will come into it as it goes from september to september x my brain isnt really working as i do need to speak to my store manager before she goes on mat leave in 3 weeks lol x
  • My work policy is that I have to start my maternity at 36 weeks (or before), if I want to work past 36 weeks I have to get a letter from my doctor which sounds like hassle so I will prob go off latest 36 weeks.

I have to take all my holiday and bank holidays for the year before I commence maternity as well which is 29 days. I have only taken 3 days holidays this year, and I don't know when I an going to be able to take them as we are going through a big intergration at work between now and end of June and in July I will be involved in planning a large 3 week conference! So as it stands at the moment to fit all my holiday in before 36 weeks I will have to leave work on the 12th august! image which seems way to early!

Although saying that if it is a hot summer, I might be grateful to skip the commute into London every day and chill out at home!
  • I was still working when DD arrived at 37 weeks... working from home though that week which was just as well. Plan to finish at end of September at 36 weeks as doubt I'll go early again? Hopefully get 4 weeks with my DD before baby no 2 arrives.

10+4
  • I'm not sure yet - but ds arrived 2 weeks early! i had not finished working, as i was expecting him to be 2 weeks late - but i do't thik i can risk that again!
  • I am a teacher, so the summer holidays start when I'm 29 weeks until I'm 35 weeks so I had been debating whether to go back for a couple of weeks, however I've decided not to bother as i will return the following September either way so it won't make much difference, plus it will give me more time to relax before the baby arrives and give me extra time with just my little boy. So I'll be officially starting at 35 weeks.

I started at 36 weeks last time and had my son a week early so only had 3 weeks off (and was v busy as we moved 1 week before he was born), so for me a bit of extra time to relax and prepare (make a stock of meals, that was the plan for the day my waters ended up breaking last time!).

Xxx