Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

question for 2nd+ mummies, mainly to help us all xxx

well this is a question to help everyone but i just thought about all the things i bought when i had my daughter and what i bought that i actually needed xx

baby bath and top and tail!! why did i buy a baby bath when i have a perfectly good bath in my bathroom??

i honestly have no idea why i bought it!

i only used it a few times and tbh it was because i thought i wasnt wasting the ??30 i spent on the set, this time i will be buying a baby sponge instead and that costs about ??8 from mothercare.

top ad tail tub was never used either and also was advised by my mw to bath belle in the kitchen sink ( covering the taps with a towel )that way ur not bending over and hurting ur back.

Are there any other tips you ladies can give to 1st timers and also to help us all xx

Replies

• Options
    Good idea!

I got a baby bath and have to say it was really useful after he stopped fitting in the sink! However maybe that's just as I was lazy and it's quicker to fill the baby bath! However I doubt I'll use it this time as I will probably bath them both together.

Hmmm.... Things that were a waste, I didn't get a top and tail, but that would have been. We also got a door bouncer, but hardly used it as we ended up getting a jumperoo, which was fab!

Can't think of much at the moment, but I'll add more if I think of them.

Out of interest, what did people think of changing tables? I didn't have one with my DS, and wished I had as my knees were sore from always changing him on the floor on a mat. I am really considering getting one this time. What do others think? X
  • Options
    I have to admit that we are still using our baby bath for my DD who will be 11 months next week - it is so much quicker than filling the whole bath and she is so much happier in there than in the big bath - so I think it could be one of those things that some people won't find useful but others will image

Changing table - we borrowed one from a friend as we weren't sure how much we'd use it, again 11 months later still using it every day - my friend is now also pregnant so we'll be investing in our own soon. Although, I have to say we'll probably go for second hand rather than brand new.

I can't really thing of anything that we bought and haven't found useful although we didn't actually buy that much in the first place, we've generally bought things as we go along if DD has seemed to need them.

Switching things around a bit , the things we've bought that were really useful were:

Muslins

Lanolin cream (if planning on breastfeeding)

A swinging seat (DD used to fall asleep whenever I put her in this)

Bumbo seat (still allows me to have a shower in peace, DD sits happily in it and watches me singing in the shower!!)

Jumperoo

Amme 14 + 3

I can't particularly think of anything else at the moment :lol:
  • Options
    oh my MUSLINS!!!!!!! they are so fab!

nappy bins, i threw mine away in the end but my sil loved hers, i thought if i was putting it in a nappy bag it could go in the bin any way x

rocking chair for my daughter, she used it to death and only just been able to throw it away lol

bumbo didnt work for my daughter, she hated being stuck and i wasted money on that, altho my sister bought it off me and her son loved it xxx

lanolin cream i was given by my sister and its worth the money!

my sister used a changing table for her 3 bubs and said it really help as she had a csection so being and getting up really hurt and pulled on her stomach, im actually thinking of getting one this time as i like that they are good for storage x

xxx
  • Options
    As a first time mummy that will be buying lots soon-this thread is fab! Keep them coming ladies image

xDx
  • Options
    Brill thread, I loved threads like this when I was having ds1!!

We were given a top and tail bowl, never used it once!! Ds hated bumbo but every LO is different. Carrycot on pushchair we used a grand total of 3 times, complete waste of money!

Lifesavers for us have been

Muslins - def worth it!! Great for mopping up everything and keeping your clothes clean ish!

Swinging seat

Bed blocks for cot - fantastic for raising cot when LO has coughs and colds.

Baby wipes - buy loads when on offer it's amazing how many you get through.

Can't think of anything else at the mo but sure there's lots more

X x x x
  • Options
    I have to agree with most of what's been said. I remember when I was pregnant with DS reading about muslins and thinking would I really use them! Well they are fab, I always had one near by when feeding and found the hd multiple uses! Even now I use one around his neck

Like a bib when cleaning his teeth or giving calpol!

I also found the bumbo pointless, my son only went in twice then started arching his back to try and pop himself out!

I did find the carry cot useful though, but walk a lot with my DS and also used it instead of a Moses basket in the living too.

• Options
    I agree with mrs m, fab thread for us first timers, everytime I look at a catalogue or go into a baby shop my mind boggles at all the things on offer and trying to figure out what I really need!

Thanks ladies image xx
  • Options
    JUMPAROO is the best thing ever!!!!!!! my DD loved her's to bits and even now when she sees herself in pics, in it says bouncy bouncy. it allowed me to do sooooooo much around the house as she refused to leave it sometimes :lol:

muslins: defo yes, soooo handy

changing table: for me yes as it really saved my back plus i didn't have to buy one as my sis gave me hers!

Ladies i also going to recommand COTBEDS because the get so much longer out of them and when the are ready for there own bed all u need to do is transform it to a bed for them!! my dd is still in her cotbed and when she is ready for a bed i can just do that for her.

i also agree with buying lots and lots of babywipes when ther on offer, the ASDA baby event is brillent as it has tons of offers.
  • Options
    yey to everyone sharing so much fab info xx

yey to babywipes on offer, also look at mysupermarket.co.uk for offers on nappies etc, it will show u the cheapest offer and u save loads of money, morrisons are doing 2 mega boxes of pampers active for ??15!! bargain xxx
  • Options
    Great thread...its funny how some people love things that others hated.

I had one of those changing tables/baths from mamas n papas and it was a total waste,(after having a section i wasnt gonna take her upstairs every time she needed a change so only got used to dress in a morning) the bath was the most slippy thing in the world ( we used a washing up bowl on a towel on the floor in the front room) when baby could sit up i used to put a hand towel in bottom of our bath and sit her on that to stop her slipping about.

I used my door bouncer all the time both my DDs loved bouncing in it and watching me do the washing up/cooking/mopping...you get the idea ladies lol

HATED my nappy bin with a passion used to empty it every morning and it stunk....so then started emptying it more but it still stunk so resorted to putting my dust bin next to my back door and chucking them straight in that!

With DD2 i used a swaddling blanket and it was great stayed wrapped up nice all night and she seemed to calm and go straight to sleep when i wrapped her up.

and totally agree with buying the nappies n wipes when on offer....started alreadyimage
  • Options
    Gatecrashing from DIS image hope you don't mind

We found a door bouncer a fab investment but our door frames are really narrow so had to fix a hook into a beam in the ceiling to hook it onto, DD loved it, we put it facing the window so she could see people coming and going.

We also got an electric swing which we tried her in 3 times and she screamed every single time image that was 7 years ago and we still have it for this one

We bought a baby carrier and she also hated that :roll: wont be getting one this time round.
  • Options
    oh and another thing i just remembered is we bought a moses basket with a clar de lune rocking stand, its was the best, we still have the stand but my sister borrowed the moses basket so we will be getting a new one x the stand was fab! rocked belle to sleep and also handy when she had a cold, we rolled a towel under the back rocker bit and she slept better as she could breath better xxx
  • Options
    bumping it up just to see if anyone else can add knowledge and help us all xxx
  • Options
    One of the best things we had for DD was a dream show that attached to cot and played soothing music with a projected image on ceiling. DD still uses it for falling asleep and she is nearly 3. Good for helping babies to settle on their own.

Also used sink instead of a baby bath, got a baby seat for big bath when DD outgrew sink. Cheaper than a baby bath and lasts quite long too.

Xx
  • Options
    Hi All,

My friend gave me a bath and top/tail bowl. I used the bath a few times never used the top/tail bowl. I invested in a terry towling bath support from toys r us for ??10 and used it in the big bath until Lucy could sit up and used a small tubber wear bowl instead for water to clean her on a morning etc. Also I bought a cream and white cot mobile to match my nursery but it was useless as baby couldnt see it so should of got a nice bright one !! My mam bought me a small music centre which clipped on the cot that played music and had a little light on which was fantastic for switching on in the night and putting Lucy's dummy in. It even clipped onto the moses basket !!

I also bought a thermos bag and ice packs so I could take babies bottles out with me and upto bed. Saved going down to the fridge in the night and I had 2 of the phillips IQ bottle warmers which are great. One in the kitchen and one in her room. This time I'm going to also get a fisher price flask to take out with me as I always seemed to have a nightmare getting her bottle warmed up. They give you them in M&S and I think there great.

Thats all I can think of for now peeps

xx