Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2011

SPD

Hi Ladies

I suffered with SPD during my 1st pregnancy and unfortunately it seems to be back, my hips are in agony. worse at night but hideous going up and down stairs. Last time the doc sent me for physio but was wondering if anyone had suffered with this and found another suitable relief for the pain? :?

Replies

• Hi,

This is my first baby so I've no experience with SPD but didn't want to read and run.

I really hope you find a pain relief this time round!

Sending hugs,

BB xx
  • Oh hun I suffered horeendously last time too, and already have it this time! Am seeing the midwife on thursday when il be 16 weeks and demanding physio, depsite being in so much pain last time I was pretty much bed bound for the last few weeks I was never offered any physio or anything and my pain and the SPD was just brushed over and ignored by the midwife and doctor! The only thing the doctor said I could take was paracetamol..he offered to prescribe me codeine but he said this can sedate the baby so I decided to just live with the pain (although the doctors around here are awful so now im thinking whether he was even right about that) as paracetamol doesnt even take the edge off the pain (as im sure you know) hope you get some help hun as I know hoe horrendous it is..although I always say I think the SPD is the reason I didnt find labour that bad lol..as id been through the agony of that for weeks!

Big hugs xx
  • Hi, gc from august but I think i'm starting with this too.

I have found sleeping with my dreamgenii pillow really helps as stops me moving around at night which is when I have had horrific pain. Also I have a beth most mornings and evenings which helps and I use hot water bottles (my mw and dr say totally fine to use)

Also my husband yesterday bought me a massive gym ball and it does relieve teh pressure form the pelvis.

I'm going to see an osteopath on Wednesday so hope he can give me some more tips xx
  • Thank you ladies, any more tips please do share x
  • I had SPD last time too and also feel like it's returning. My physio gave me a support belt which did ok for a while but got uncomfortable as my bump grew, I was then told to use crutches to take the weight off my hips, which it did but I got blistered hands instead lol. Like MrsMafiaPrincess says, lots of baths, massage, I even used deep heat towards the end (Dr said it was ok) try to raise your legs when sitting, avoid walking, getting up and down too much (easier said than done I know) make sure if you're working to have proper chairs etc, at the right height, you should have a risk assessment to check all this xx
  • I have bought a Dream Genii pillow, hopefully that will help tonight image
  • Hey I had it last time and didnt find physio helped at all. but I think it helps some people.

My pelvis is clicking already so think its going to come back!

• Well ladies the Dream Genii pillow definately made my night sleep more comfortable!!