Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2011

16 wk m/w appt - now not seeing m/w until 28 wks!

Well I had my 16 week midwife appointment today - all went well heard heartbeat was 150 bpm - which I think accordingly to the old wives tales would indicate a girl - but who knows! Urine fine, b/p 100 / 60 so fairly low but not too low.

However, she said that I now don't see her until 28 weeks. I have my anamoly scan at 20 weeks with Consultant who will also do the urine / b/p check and then at 25 weeks I have to see my GP to get my form for my maternity benefit, so I do see people but not a midwife, I was amazed at how long it is until I see her, that is 12 weeks - nearly a trimester!! Does anyone else know the timings of their next appointments yet? We are outside of the NHS here but it would just be nice to compare. With my DD who is only 11 months I had a 20 wk midwife appointment but they have changed the policy in the last few months.

Anyway, hope you are all well and the sickness is easing for those that were suffering. We're going away for the Easter weekend now, so will be back online early next week. Have a lovely bank holiday everyone.

Take care

Amme

16 + 3

Replies

• Hi honey, don't panic. You have more midwife appts during your 1st pregnancy than with your 2nd (I think they assume as we've been pregnant before we know what's going on and when to phone them for help!) It's actually fairly normal to have this big a gap between appts for 2nd+ pregnancies, the only exception would be if your health waas an issue where you'd end up seeing them almost every week. Hope this helps.
  • I had my 16 week check on Thursday and she said i dont go back to see her until 14th July when I will be 28 weeks! I also have my scan inbetween on 17th May but that is just a scan they dont check anything else. She did say that if i needed her just to ring or make an appointment.

When i went for my booking in appt she said i dont get as many second time round, buts its over 3 yrs since i had my little boy and i dont remember that much apart from the panic is still the same :lol:

My blood pressure was 99 over 62 and she said that was low but normal for me but would explain why iv been feeling dizzy and suffering headaches - she just said to make sure i drink plenty of water.

She listened for the babys HB and we heard a load of swooshing as the baby was wriggling about, the placenta and the HB - but she didnt give me the heart rate. and im looking for every little clue i can about the sex as we are team yellow this time round :roll:
  • Thanks guys - sounds like it's normal to have a big gap between appointments at this stage then - just 28 weeks sounds so far away at the moment!
  • Hi hun i'm the same seen midwife at 16 weeks and then she said see you at 28 weeks!! .... ring when your 20 weeks and i will leave your Mat B1 form at reception for you !! This is my 2nd baby aswell and think they kind of just let you get on with it !!
  • i had my booking in at 9weeks, i had 1st mw appointment at 16 weeks, she said i should see her at 24weeks, i also have a consultant appointment for the 9th of may and my 21+6 scan on the 31st of may, i dont know if they are just keeping a closer eye on me as i suffered from cholistasis when pregnant with Anabel xxxx and im starting to itch again so im thinking i might be getting it again xx boo!!
  • On Demi - that isn't good hope that the itching goes away soon, perhaps it's just the warm weathrimage wishful thinking!