Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 09

dentist

Does anyone know if we're supposed to take them to the dentist?

That was short and sweet wasn't it?

xx

Replies

• If we are meant to at this age, I would shake the hand of the human able to check LO's teeth!

I think when I can explain with better understanding I will attempt it, but I cant see it being before aged 2-3. I will take LO to my check ups when he reaches 2 just to get used to it.

Be interesting to know what dentist recommend
  • Where i live (very north of scotland) We have a program they get signed up to in thw hospital just after birth, called childsmile. It means they have a named dental nurse then dentist straight away and my lo's first appointment was at 6 months with the nurse then 12 months with the nurse, next one is with the dentist. Just really was to get them used to going from a young age. She just discussed tooth brushing etc with me at 6 months then put her finger (wearing a glove obviously) in his mouth at the next one, think he gets up in the chair and has dentist look in his mouth if he'll let them next time!!

xxx
  • Im taking Luke with me for the 1st time next month just to get him used to it.
  • Isabelle came with me the last 2 times, (last week and a year before!) as the dentist said its good just to get her used to it!

He isn't bothered about teeth brushing doing much as baby teeth drop out, it's just a habit were his words! He also said that if I had bad teeth with a ton of fillings he would give me a free brush and stress the importance of only milk and water, and juice just for mealtimes, but he knows we do it anyway, so said it just to be covered!

Isabelle had to sit on the chair and have her teeth looked at due to the injury from the dog, so was pretty good considering it was still sore!

They practice teeth brushing at nursery, and also have a "aaaaahhhh" practice too, which I think has helped tons!

Luckily I have got her registered with my NHS dentist, so smiles all round!!! :lol:

Bets XxX
  • Oh my god, the thought of Sam at the dentist. :x The barber is bad enough.

Starbrite that sounds so good - what a shame they don't do it everywhere in the country.

Betsygrub - good to hear what your dentist said about tooth brushing. I am counting on Sam being far more well behaved and compliant once his adult teeth come in!
  • I dont get this 'used' to going thing. I really dont think Leo would remember going from 6 months to 12 months to 18 months. I can understand from aged 2....? Or is that just me?

I took LO with me when I had a check up he was so distressed as I think he thought they were hurting me that I dont think it had any benefit. That was about 6 months ago and I am sure he wouldnt remember it now......

However this is very child dependant as I know some children are laid back etc
  • Ladyk, I am sceptical that B will remember going to the appointments so far but figured it couldnt do any harm and was free, and B doesnt really mind people feeling in his mouth so I went for it. Can see how a child who would be distressed by it at this age may not benefit from it though. I also liked that it got him in with an NHS dentist asap as I still dont have a dentist where i live, havent since i was 16! My dentist is 200 miles away!

xx
  • Thanks for the replies ladies, I daren't take D to an app with me as he'd trash the place, i can't help thinking. I think i'll ring my dentist and see what they say. I don't know if he'll remember going from one time to the next but i'd like someone to look at his teeth and give me any advice. I just wasn't sure if they'd think i was mad trying to make an appt for him or not!

xxx