Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Aptamil Comfort

Anyone using this milk? I just noticed on their website it states "only to be used under medical supervision"! We have just started using it because it helps "windy" babies take in less air and feel more settled. However it's not under medical supervision or anything. Are they just being over-cautious or should I change back to Aptamil 1?

Replies

• I think all Aptimil boxes have this warning on . I would also be intrested to hear if anyone is using this formula.

Our baby has reflux and he is on Gaviscon to help him which has a thickening agent. We can NOT use any other products or formula with a thickening agent. The Aptimal Comfort is a THICKER formula (thus thickening agent added) and helps the baby keep the food in their tummy and makes them less windy. There is also a pro-biotic which helps the digestive system.

We are going to the hospital on 17th and will ask the Doctors if my LO can go on this formula instead of having the Gaviscon. We are probably going to have to wean early due to reflux so this could be a good inbetween soloution.

Maybe you can give your LO a single bottle of the Aptimil Comfort at night and Aptamil 1 during the day. See how they get on with it??

Sorry cant be any assistance on this one.

xxx
  • Thanks for your reply. Am struggling with finding the right teat for LO for Aptamil Comfort cos it's so thick. The variable teat is too fast and size 3 is too slow and he's v frustrated. Am going back to Aptamil 1 I think. I hadn't noticed any difference in his wind etc on the Comfort anyway.
  • We had a nightmare with the comfort and it mate LO fustrated. We are not on a special prescription milk as they think he is having trouble braking up lactose and had a little reflux too!! Poor little man
    xx
  • Hi jezzy,

how funny Ive just put Isla on this today as shes been having terrible trouble with tummy ache and wind. Shes only had 2 feeds so far but one thing I would say is that I read a few things on the web about how it is a bit of a nightmare to dissolve in the water.
    Ive had to change the way we make up our bottles now and its been fine with the number 2 and vari-flow tommee tippee teats.
    We now make up most of the formula ie. a 6oz feed Id make 4oz using cooled boiled water and then top it up to 6oz with freshly boiled water. The heat seems to help it break down better. Isla doesnt usually have her bottle warm and its a bit more faffy having to boil the kettle every time I make a feed but Ive found it works so far.

How are you getting on now or have you gone back to 1?
    Sarah.xxx
  • Hi Sarah
    I've gone back to Aptamil 1 now. I couldn't see the Comfort was helping Harry at all so I'm back on 1. He seems to like it anyway.
    xx
  • Back from Hospital today.

The Consultant said that the principle of Aptimil Comfort is similar to that of adding Gaviscon - in that the consistancy is diffrent to that of normal formula. It's a lot thicker. Gaviscon addes to formula takes a full 2 weeks to really have any affect and so does the Aptimil Comfort. So,. in short you wont get any benifit from using it for a couple of feeds.

We have to continue with the Gaviscon for a couple more weeks and then we can go on the Aptimil Comfort. Guys, dont expect a miricle overnight cure. The pro-biotic itself will take at least a week to have any benifit. Dr. did WARN me in no uncertain terms that I should NOT use this with Gaviscon.

I have to use teat No. 2 - with Dr. Brown Bottles.

xxx
  • I think all Aptimil boxes have this warning on . I would also be intrested to hear if anyone is using this formula.

Our baby has reflux and he is on Gaviscon to help him which has a thickening agent. We can NOT use any other products or formula with a thickening agent. The Aptimal Comfort is a THICKER formula (thus thickening agent added) and helps the baby keep the food in their tummy and makes them less windy. There is also a pro-biotic which helps the digestive system.

We are going to the hospital on 17th and will ask the Doctors if my LO can go on this formula instead of having the Gaviscon. We are probably going to have to wean early due to reflux so this could be a good inbetween soloution.

Maybe you can give your LO a single bottle of the Aptimil Comfort at night and Aptamil 1 during the day. See how they get on with it??

Sorry cant be any assistance on this one.

xxx my son had this and they put him a milk called omeo and that did not need the thickning powder have they checked your baby for the kidney reflux? as my son also had this and they told me the only reason they did the test was because babies born with the stomc reflux also could have the kidney problem x
  • Hello everyone! i am a mom to a 6 wks old..my son is on formula feed..he s been havin constipation n colic since week2..tried evrythin from aptamil to cow n gate..constipation was gettin only worse..!yesterday we bought aptamil comfort for him..saw in the earlier post that it takes about 2 weeks to work..the problem which i m facing is that the milk has some particles sticking on to the side of the bottle ,once it has been made!also i noticed that it is not flowing out of the teat..i m using philips avent size2 teat n bottle..my baby s so much in distress when he takes d bottle..also his constipation is still very much gettin worse!!

any help would be much appreciated!!

• We now make up most of the formula ie. a 6oz feed Id make 4oz using cooled boiled water and then top it up to 6oz with freshly boiled water. The heat seems to help it break down better. Isla doesnt usually have her bottle warm and its a bit more faffy having to boil the kettle every time I make a feed but Ive found it works so far.

You should really add the hot water first because all formula should be made up with water >70????C to kill the potentially harmful bacteria in the powder.
  • Hello,

I have a 4 1/2 week old baby who has currently been on Aptamil comfort for a week but he seems to still be very unsettle and still not sleeping during the day or evening and I was wondering if this could mean the formula does not agree with him and how long i should give him on it before thinking of changing to another one? it also dont help that he is suffering from really bad colic.

Any advice or tips would really help as I am a first time mum and would really like to see my baby settle and happy.
  • Hello,

I have a 4 1/2 week old baby who has currently been on Aptamil comfort for a week but he seems to still be very unsettle and still not sleeping during the day or evening and I was wondering if this could mean the formula does not agree with him and how long i should give him on it before thinking of changing to another one? it also dont help that he is suffering from really bad colic.

Any advice or tips would really help as I am a first time mum and would really like to see my baby settle and happy.
  • Hello,

• aptamil comfort is so thick that my daughter get tired sucking it for ages. aptamil get baby comfort after drinking as its settels down better and produce less wind. it can give babies discomfort while drinking. teat 2 can make sucking easier.

• My LG has been on Aptimil comfort from 6 weeks :0) she was constipated with colic and reflux. She also has gaviscon which really helps. I also weened her from 10 weeks, I know some of you will really disagree with weening so early but it was what was best for my LG. she went from being upset and uncomfortable to a happy content baby within days :0) she is 6 months on the 1st of feb and is fully weened and still on Aptimil comfort. As for teats I use doctor brown btls but the teats are from mothercare not sure on the brand, something like MM ? I am now debating going back to aptimil 2 but not sure yet. Do what's best for your baby not what the books or HV say . Good look x
  • Can some1 please help me my son is on Aptamil first milk and all he dose is sick after evry bottle he dosent bring it all up  an gets very bad wind what shall i do?

• Hi my son Is 7 weeks old and has been on comfort milk for two weeks now! I have had a right game with the teats on tommee tippee, 2's i can't get it out, 3's are far to fast and vari flow are drowning him in milk! he is being sick with it and probably spilling more down him then drinking it?? As ahh help mums cause the milk is helping wind and constipation??