Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is anyone else feeling a bit...overwhelmed??

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone today?

I've been feeling really emotional lately but it verges into anxiety about work and thinking about how much we need to prepare in a relaively short space of time too.

I'm mainly worried about work because my job is so demanding that I can only stay on top of it when I am working at full health and putting in a few extra hours. I have a very long commute each day which just isn't feasible at the moment with my 'morning' sickness, severe fatigue and general hazy mind.

So I've been trying to work from home and have needed a couple days off which I feel awful about. It sets me behind and I worry I've let everyone down. Anything I leave whilst off is waiting for me when I get back as no-one can pick up my projects which is an added pressure.

I feel guilty because I told work I had some sort of bug when of course I am 'just' pregnant with a cold. I know I'll tell them the truth after my scan but I'm so dreading their reation as I know we don't survive well with the staff we have and I've only just been made permanent officially myself. I know I need to try not to worry about maternity but I feel my last months at work will be unsupported and I'll get blamed for certain things not being done. image

On top of this I'm feeling like crap since I got my bfp and it never lets up. I could stay in bed all day and still need more sleep. I have to push so hard just to make myself eat as I'm off so many foods but I know if I don't eat little and often I feel worse.

I am also on anti-depressants which makes me feel worried and a bad mother already. These are maintenance from some depression I had due to medical issues and surgeries so I could come off soon but my MW and GP feel it would be better to stay on and not risk my mood dropping which is likely with all these delightful hormones rushing about! I am in 2 minds. I agree staying well is best for me and the baby but in an ideal world I'd be coming off them gradually.

Perhaps I need to leave it for now and see how I am in 2nd trimester? Just don't want to feel like a failure.

I am crying at anything good or bad which I can often laugh at but am I the only one feeling a bit out of control??

Sorry for going on...just wanted to write it all down to get it off my mind a bit. No need to reply and if you read this far...wow! :lol:

Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic to be pregnant but am also a worrier and prone to feeling guilty and responsible for things that haven't yet happened.image

Thanks for 'listening'.

Replies

• Oh you poor thing. I hope that getting it all down has made you feel better and the first thing I want to say is that you are most definitly not alone in the way you are feeling.

Am only a week or so ahead of you, due 31st August, so am still feeling the awfulness of the first trimester. It feels like trying to run through mud most of the day, I could spend my life in bed and still feel tired, yep, am with you on that.

At times everything feels really overwhelming, there is so much to think about / worry about / get ready for. I annoy myself so much by waking up half 4 or 5 every morning for a wee then not being able to get back to sleep, my head is too busy!! And then come six am, my DS starts with "MUMMY / DADDY where are you" at the top of his voice!!

BUT the one thing I will say is that IT DOES GET BETTER!!!! We all have to believe that!!!!!!! You really do start to feel better / normal / blooming in the 2nd trimester, honestly, the world feels like a much nicer place and life seems possible!!!

Maybe you can put off making any big decisions til you have got through this first phase, you might be able to make a more imformed decision based on how feel then.

Try not to worry too much about work, its easy to say but they do have to do their best to accomodate your pregnancy. It helps if you have female co-workers around, I've found them to be much more sympathetic!!! I work mostly with men but have let some of our ladies in our HR department know I'm pregnant and they squeal everytime they see me and are very concerned for how I'm doing.

Anyway, hope you feel a bit better soon, or at least if you dont, try not to worry about anything more today and just put one foot in front of the other til bedtime!!! (and thanks again for the toiletry idea!!!)

xxxx
  • Ah bless you for replying. I am in tears again! :lol:

You're right and I will take it one step at a time until the 'blooming' starts when hopefully I'll be in a better head space.

I'm glad to read its the same for everyone and is normal and I think telling someone at work would be a good help. Will hopefully pick a discrete colleague soon.

Thanks for your advice - it feels a bit more manageable somehow now.

xx
  • Hi Tulip,

Haven't really got any advice for you because MrSP has provided great advice but i didn't want to read and run.

I understand about how you feel as it is overwhelming but also remember that work has to support you and work with you not against.

Take care x
  • Hun, some of that could have been me writing it - the work aspect, the feeling guilty, worrying. I totally get what you mean about staying in bed all day and still needing more sleep too.

I've had 3 days off work this week (very unlike me) as I just felt awful.

I think we just have to try to get through this stage and look to the next one..it helps a bit when I read in the baby books about the 2nd trimester being better and women feeling refreshed - bring that on!!

Take care of yourself hun, try not to think too far ahead (I do it all the time myself!) and concentrate on the now..knowing that you WILL feel better very soon.

Sending you big hugs! X image
  • Thanks ladies.

I felt better just writing it down and re-reading it made me see that I am worrying about things which may never happen and/or are out of my hands.

I'm pleased I'm not alone although ideally I wish none of us felt poop but we can't do a lot about it.

I had physio today (for a hip and back issue) and she was so lovely talking to me about the baby getting bigger and how it was good I'm strengthening my back now and soon I'll be too big for my exercises etc. It made it feel like it is really happening and having her support on how to keep my tummy and back stong was nice too.

Generally feeling more in control and letting go of what I can't.

Brunette - I am definitely reassured by the 2nd trimester. image
  • Glad to hear you're sounding more positive today. Sometimes just letting it all out helps X