Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Water birth

As anyone experienced a water bith?

I am considering having one and just wanted know your experiences from having a water birth x

Replies

• Ooo good question I am also having a water birth so would love to hear any experiences image xx
  • havent had one but the midwife unit next to me has so alot of my friends have had one and loved it! hoping I will get to have one too!! so would also like to hear more about it!

cx
  • ahh I so wish I could have a water birth but as I will be induced I am not allowed image
  • My best friend had 2 births one in water and she said she loved it and would choose it hands down everytime she said it eased her back pain and just made the whole experience more soothing as she could move around and have a lil swim lol x
  • I'm desperately hoping for one this time. Wanted it last time but had a very long drawn out labour which left me knackered and unable to cope with the pain. The midwives took one look at me and said I was beyond being helped by the water lol!

I so hope to have one this time. Everything I've heard and read is so positive. Even though after last time I said I'd want an epidural at the first twinge in labour number 2, I'm now leaning towards natural and I think water birth is the way forward.

xx
  • I'm desperately hoping for one this time. Wanted it last time but had a very long drawn out labour which left me knackered and unable to cope with the pain. The midwives took one look at me and said I was beyond being helped by the water lol!

I so hope to have one this time. Everything I've heard and read is so positive. Even though after last time I said I'd want an epidural at the first twinge in labour number 2, I'm now leaning towards natural and I think water birth is the way forward.

xx
  • I also want a water birth - think they only have 1 at our hosp though so have to keep my fingers extra crossed that it'll be free xxx
  • I did and it was a completely positive experience. V clean, calm and best of all no stitches needed! I will be really gutted if I don't have another this time. There's only 1 pool at our birth centre so am crossing everything it's free.

• I started of in the 'birthing pool' with my 1st pregnancy which was lovely, the water supported my joints and was kept constant warm temp which took the edge of contractions. However as my labour progressed and got longer I was moved into delivery suite room for fear I'd need assistance delivering. Sadly my DD arrived unassisted 49hrs after start of labour, she just wanted to stay in the warmth of mummy's tum as long as poss (December babe and it was snowing outside). Again only one pool in our area at present so unsure whether will get to use this time or not.
  • Thanks ladies, and yeah its ment to ease the pain and be more comfortable. Also it looks very relaxing and peaceful in birth pools.

I may opt for one, i will ask my midwife about them and get some more info.

Alot of my friends have told me when you give birth, it never really ends up going how you planned it in the first place. This is my first so don't no what to expect... i will probs want as many drugs as possible for the pain image
  • I def want one so I am hoping it will be free as our unit only has one pool xx
  • I can see a campaign here for more birth pools in hospitals!! image
  • :lol: @ tigerlilly!

I definitely want a water birth - I am a total water baby myself and love swimming and baths in general.

I think I want to find out a bit more about the pros and cons etc.
  • Hello ladies, I hope you dont mind me gatecrashing but thought I would share my water birth experience.

I always wanted a water birth but, like a lot of you, we only have one pool localy so I never really thought it would happen. My labour was over 40 hour long with contractions every 3-4 mins lasting a min each for over 24 hours. I was getting to the end of my tether. My birth plan was not to have an epidural or pethidine but I had been in labour sooooo long and was in so much pain that I nearly caved and went for the pethidine.

I then got told the pool was free and I jumped at the chance to get in. Just seeing the pool filled and ready instantly made me feel better and getting in was just lush. The pool was kept at a lovely temp and I was told i would be able to catch my own baby when he arrived. I was so relaxed and calm. I was in the pool for 6hours 50 minutes. nearly 2 hours of that was pushing and 50 minutes was delivering the placenta. I was only 3cm dilated when i got in the pool (after 18ish hours of contractions every 3-4 min and contractions every5-6 min for 20 hours before that) and i truely beleive that getting in the pool relaxed me enough to help labour progress.

In the end Finley got tangled in his cord so I was unable to catch him myself and the seconds before he was born were a bit scary but he was born with no gas and air or other pain releif, no screaming from me, into a relaxed environment and the best bit NO STITCHES image

Finley was my first baby and my labour was 100% positive. I feel so lucky and will be gutted if i cant use the pool next time

I hope you all get the labours you wish for. Good Luck

xx
  • Hi I am gatecrashing too from DIO but just wanted to encourage you ladies who are interested in or hoping for a water birth.

I had always wanted a home water birth but my first ds was over 2 weeks late so I had to be induced then with my 2nd ds I had low lying placenta so had to be in hospital. Both were instrumental deliveries and not great.

I finally got my dream birth with my dd at home in a birthing pool and it really was the best day of mine and my husbands lives! I know this isn't said very often but I actually really enjoyed the labour and birth!I spent all of my 2 hours in the pool on all fours with my face nearly in the water just focusing and breathing through the contractions and with the water helping with the weight of my bump. Even though she came out face up I managed to push her out myself and was elated!

The only main con to the pool is that if you get in too early it can slow down labour but your midwife will be able to tell you when to get in.

One other thing to think about and discuss with oh is if you want him to get in or not - we had agreed to see how I was feeling. In the end hubby got in to help turn me over so sat behind me and supported me when lo came out, and I am really glad that he was in the pool with me when she was born.

Hope you all get your water births xx