Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Did anyone see the news...?

A baby born in Germany last November has just come home from hospital. It was born at 21+5 weeks at around 1 pound in weight and survived with no obvious problems.

I just couldn't believe it when I read it... I'm 22+5 today and the thought that it is possible this baby could live already is just amazing. 24 weeks was the 'target' I had in mind when the baby becomes viable so this is just amazing!!

Had to share xx

Replies

• I'm amazed by this little miracle. Generally they tend to say the lungs are mature enough before 24wks, nice of this little chap to prove them wrong. image
  • Wowzers! That's amazing! So 24 weeks is viability is it? I always thought it was 28 for some reason so I feel better that I am nearly there if that's the case! x
  • Hay yeah i saw that in the paper the other day amazing isnt it?x
  • I haven't seen this yet but I can guarantee it will cause uproar in the angel mum community. Some ladies I know have had their babies (in the UK) at 23/23 weeks and doctors have done nothing to help, not because they don't want to but because by law they cannot.

In Australia the viability age is 20 weeks. x
  • That's amazing, and so lovely to hear he's finally made it home. I also thought 24 weeks was the viable age, and was using that as my next personal milestone.

Torch - is that true about the doctors not being able to do anything before 24 weeks??? Surely if a baby is born alive they should have to take care of it at any age. That law definately needs changing.
  • Sadly hun yea, the viability age here in the UK is 24 weeks, regardless of weather baby is born alive or not. I have many friends that have given birth at this stage and their babies have been left to die. Its something we in the angel mum community are trying to change. Its because you can legally have an abortion up until 24 weeks.

In Germany and Australia its 20 weeks. I have a friend who gave birth at 23 weeks 5 days at 11:45pm, the doctors had no choice but to wait until midnight before they could help, thankfully her little one survived.

I always see 24 weeks as my milestone, thats when if my baby decides to arrive then she would get all the help she needed xx
  • Wow thats amazing! Torch thats so sad that they do nothing to help here image