Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011

Baby Shower

Are any of you lovely ladies having one? I have just sorted mine for the 2nd of July as were not sure when in August this pink bump is going to arrive.

I decided to organise my own as I am a bit of a control freak :lol: not sure weather to do a buffet or BBQ as of yet, I think it really depends on the weather xx

Replies

• Hey hun, we were quite confused about the whole gift this as well, as we know we will have a biggish baby and the doctors have told us to stop buying newborn clothes. So we didn't want people buying outfits she may not fit into and we have all the main things anyway.

We have said that if people would like to bring a gift to the shower then a book would be lovely. We started a book shelf for Megan when I was pregnant and add to it each year and donate the books she is too big for to a local charity that helps homeless mums and babies.

We have said if they would like to buy clothes then to please wait until she is born so we know what size, its not really about the gifts for us though, more about celebrating after the last few terrible months we have had. Just a girly get together and catch up xx
  • Ah, sounds lovely torch. Like you say, a celebration after a rotten few months.

I'm not having one and I didn't with DD either. My mum offered to throw me one but there's something about the idea of them that makes me feel a bit weird - I think maybe it's being the centre of attention? Not sure. That said, I've never been to one either - maybe they just aren't very popular where I live!

Have fun! x
  • I won't be having one as I didn't with DD and would feel bad doing so this time around. Family normally throw a 'wet the baby's head' party shortly after the birth when I can enjoy a glass of wine without the guilt trip, they also know by that point what gender/size to buy clothes and gifts for so it seems to please them more doing it this way.
  • Torch that sounds fab!! I'm not having one and I didn't with Elsie. Since Elsie is only little still I don't know if I should have one either. But if I'm being honest I'd really like one, I wanted one when I was preggers with Els but no one offered to throw one for me and I just didn't do it for myself. Difficult really as I don't feel I could do one for myself as my friends now organise them for people having first babies and they are a surprise. So I should probably leave it. Bit sad as i'll never have one image ah well as long as I have a healthy baby that's all that counts!! But I will make sure my friends have one when the have babies!!! And I hope yours is fab!! image
  • I always thought it was more of an american thing. I don't really have the sort of family / friends who would even think about it - not in a mean way, it just wouldn't occur to them! Am tempted to have a small gathering before he arrives, but might just be too much hassle! image