Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pay cheques!

It's getting scary reading the posts about going on mat leave. Got paid early this week and have just realised; only 2 more full pay cheques until maternity pay kicks in!

We struggle to live off 2 full wages (terrible with money) so really need to get a$$ in gear and save some now.

Anyone else panicking? x

Replies

• we always panic about money but we always get by... am focusing on DH, DS and bean 2!
  • Ah bless you.

I work as an analyst so in true ANAL-yst style I have a budget on a spreadsheet! :lol:

It looks at what will be coming in and what is coming in now versus what we spend. The I put down everything where we can save and all of the new baby expenses for day to day living which I suspect increase as he starts needing solid food and more and bigger nappies etc.

Its tight but we should be ok and its helped us to see how long we can afford on maternity leave.

We still need to sell one of the cars and I'm conscious that yes there are only 2 more full pay days left for me so we want to get it sorted soon!

It really does feel like time is flying but I think I'm more panicked that we won't finish our DIY and we'll bring baby home to piles of dust!image
  • Yep....one pay day left for me.....then trying to live off about ??70 a week for 9 weeks, we will cope though, we always do. Selling things on ebay to make some pennies. Keep smiling hun, it will all work out x
  • DH & I have gone from 2 full pay packets to 1 full pay packet & SMP to just 1 full pay packet. You learn to adapt your spending with what you have available and, like torch says, there's always the option of bringing in extra cash by selling those old unused items on ebay or local car boot sales.
  • DH & I have gone from 2 full pay packets to 1 full pay packet & SMP to just 1 full pay packet. You learn to adapt your spending with what you have available and, like torch says, there's always the option of bringing in extra cash by selling those old unused items on ebay or local car boot sales.

Ebay is awesome and car boot sales (if you drive) for those that have other children and plan no more after this one is to sell your baby clothes but sell them as big bundles, bundles of babygrows, vests, tops, trousers and then outfits seem to work best.

For us, our extra income is going to come from selling my headbands etc. I also have a habit of checking out shops that have sales on. A few weeks ago a shop had a massive clothes sale on and I bought loads of stuff for ??1 each, stuff I wouldn't use or wear but I can sell on ebay and make at least double my money back image x
  • Also got 2 left before maternity kicks in. We are hoping to live off hubby's earnings alone to see if we can manage with me not going back to work - really hope we can.

Been busy selling bits on ebay too, and put all my uni textbooks on amazon to get a bit extra before i finish. Thinking of selling some DVDs too that we never watch anymore! Have kept all my boxes for baby stuff so we can sell them on when we're done making babies too!

xxx