Forum homeβ€Ί Archived Birth Clubsβ€Ί My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

growth scan

last time i had a growth scan with DS but apparently i don't get one this time around. is this normal?

have got a tilted septated uterus and this time i have an anterior placenta aswell. i asked if i get one to see where the placenta was and got told to not be so stupid as of course the placenta won't move. am i wrong in thinking that placentas move? i thought it might move around the back but am probably getting confused...

Replies

• Options
    I really dont know, when r u due to see your midwife? Maybe she could shed some light on this for u. I didn't think the placenta moved once it was attached, but I am not sure? xx
  • Options
    Hey hun, where I live its common practice to have a growth scan if you had to have them before, at least one at 28 weeks. I have them every 2 weeks with the consultant and every 4 weeks at antenatal (no idea why I have to have them with both)

A tilted septated uterus and anterior placenta are not cause for concern in pregnancy. 1 in 3 women have this and it doesn't cause any issues. Your placenta wont move from its current position but I still would have thought they would give you at least one more scan to check everything! Has your midwife been measuring your bump? If you measure small or big you should be offered a growth scan then. Are you just midwife led care? x
  • Options
    I didn't get growth scan with DD or this one (don't think they do in my area unless bump measures super big or small). My placenta moved from slightly covering my cervix at 12wks to middle of my back at 20wks though they have said that it shouldn't move anymore now my uterus is up out of pelvic area and it was probably that stretch and growth that helped shift it upwards.
  • Options
    the midwife barely looked at me. i'm measuring spot on. i'm consultant led but have yet to meet consultant. i've got next appt on july 20th with one of the consultants minions. when i was preg with DS the asked at my consultant appt if i could come back tomorrow for a growth scan - i guess i was trying to get organised and get the appt sorted! i don't see community midwife till august 16/17th. really don't seem to be having many appts!

last time they seemed a bit worried about my uterus because it's apparently a wierdly septated one. noones told me any more!
  • Options
    the midwife barely looked at me. i'm measuring spot on. i'm consultant led but have yet to meet consultant. i've got next appt on july 20th with one of the consultants minions. when i was preg with DS the asked at my consultant appt if i could come back tomorrow for a growth scan - i guess i was trying to get organised and get the appt sorted! i don't see community midwife till august 16/17th. really don't seem to be having many appts!

last time they seemed a bit worried about my uterus because it's apparently a wierdly septated one. noones told me any more!

When you see your consultant he should scan you hun x
  • Options
    have got my mum coming to consultant with me so when they give me a days notice i'll be able to roganise having DH with me... fingers crossed anyway!
  • Options
    hmm confused now. I was told that the placenta could move as mine was noted as anterior when I had my 20 week scan which could cause potential problems if I had another section. they said not to worry it'll probably move as pregancy develops?? maybe they just meant as my womb grew it would move upwards away from the scar???

Yep. it will move upwards as your womb grows but wont actually move on its own if that makes sense lol xx
  • Options
    Hi

Its not usual to have a growth scan - you usually only get one if baby is measuring too small or too large to check that the MW's measurements are correct. Or if you have a history you would probably get one or more.

Your placenta attaches in one place and DOESN'T move. However it attaches onto the womb which will expand a lot like an inflated balloon.

So if you draw a dot on a balloon low down and then continue to blow it up the spot won't move on the balloon surface but it expands up and out with the balloon. This is how the placenta can 'move' out of the way of the exit route.image

Don't stress - I'd take it that you have a nice normal pregnancy if you're not having additional scans.image
  • Options
    Hi

Its not usual to have a growth scan - you usually only get one if baby is measuring too small or too large to check that the MW's measurements are correct. Or if you have a history you would probably get one or more.

Your placenta attaches in one place and DOESN'T move. However it attaches onto the womb which will expand a lot like an inflated balloon.

So if you draw a dot on a balloon low down and then continue to blow it up the spot won't move on the balloon surface but it expands up and out with the balloon. This is how the placenta can 'move' out of the way of the exit route.

Don't stress - I'd take it that you have a nice normal pregnancy if you're not having additional scans.

Fab way to describe it image
  • Options
    LOl! Thanks Torch and Mum2jd!

I stole it from one of my Physics lectures when I was a student...except we were talking about evolutionary inflation of the Universe rather than wombs!!!!! :lol:

I'm such a picture person...I have to draw diagrams or have a picture in my mind to follow things but we were all trying to explain the same thing.image