Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Perineal massage

This was discussed at my antenatal class and wondered if any of you ladies are doing it?

Apparently as long as it's done properly and for 5 mins twice a day it can reduce the risk of episiotomy.

Not sure I fancy doing it though

:roll:

Replies

• Options
    I wont be but only because I had to have an episiotomy on Megan so the chances of needing another are slim. I do know loads of people that have done it though x
  • Options
    Iv also read about this, well actually i was told by my OH as he read about it in his 'dad' book! He said it with a cheeky grin on his face because in his book it suggests doing it as a bit of fun as a couple!! :lol::lol::lol:

I am willing to do anything to avoid tearing or needing an episiotomy but not sure i really want to do this!! lol

Torch, did your episiotomy hurt?

• Options
    Sounds yuk but I think I will try... image
  • Options
    I didn't do it last time and I don't plan to do it this time. Last time I did end up with a 3rd degree tear (largely due to being shattered after a 49hr labour) but I didn't notice it as much as those around me did. This time, in theory, my body has already had the experience so should be better prepared for the delivery (or so I keep being told).
  • Options
    im trying it although i only do it once a day. im not sure if im doing it right and i dont like doing it but i really dont want to tear badly so will try anything. xx
  • Options
    I didn't do it properly or religiously but just had a bit of a stretch down there I guess to get a feeling of what it's like and to try and stretch a bit more. Didn't tear or need any stitches so not sure if it was that that helped or if it was more just listening to the midwives when the time came? I don't think there's any harm in giving it a try... I really don't want to tear!!
  • Options
    I think I will give it a go as it will need a good stretch lol. I really can't envisage baby head fitting thru :lol:

I found some useful info about it

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/birth/assisted_delivery/perineal_massage.asp

Xx
  • Options
    I read somewhere that they try not to do episiotomies anymore unless absolutely necessary as it heals better if you just tear naturally - although that doesn't sound nice either! Don't know if i'll try the massage or not yet, but putting in my birth plan that i'd like to avoid an episiotomy.

xxx
  • Options
    GC but just wanted to say I did perineal massage regularly and didn't tear at all, despite my daughters rather large head circumference!

May have been a coincidence but I'll definitely be doing it next time too x
  • Options
    Um nooo the thought makes me a bit squeamish lol! I had an episiotomy with my ds who was my first, I didn't find it too bad at all and it healed well and quickly. I didn't need it with dd though!
  • Options
    i also had an episitomoy with DS. am expecting action replay this time but will hopefully heal faster and better this time! am not gonna bother with the massage this time as i did it with DS...
  • Options
    Couple of questions for you ladies.....

For those who had a episiotomy, how did you find this?

And for those doing the massages, what did/do you use? veggie oil?????

Thanks Ladies image

cx