Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

strong braxton hicks..

yesterday i was having braxton hicks on and off, last night i kept waking all throughout the night from cramp, it eased off this morning but all day i have been having strong braxton hicks regularly, feeling really tight and pressure and now the cramping has started up again a little... is this normal or should i be worried?

Emma and 31 weeks Aoife Bump x

Replies

• Hi,

They say that if you rest up and it eases its ok.

So long as it doesn't turn into a regular pattern and the contractions don't get stronger and closer together it should be fine.

If you have anything else with the cramps like leaking clear fluid, bleeding, blurred vision, severe headache then ring the midwife or ante natal unit.image

Take it easy x
  • I agree with TulipRose's advice. I've been having braxton hicks since 28 weeks. They are sooooo annoying. A nice warm bath seems to help and ease of the cramping.

I tend to find mine start off strong and then weaken but left with a 'crampy' bump after so thats when I hope in the bath!

Hope your ok!

cx
  • Had to go to bed they were that bad and no matter how i lay i could not get comfy!

Finally managed to get to sleep and have woke up with them still here but not as bad, also feeling a little more crampy atm, so just keeping an eye on it.

Random question, but does it ever make you feel like you need to use the toilet, as in both ways? (sorry tmi lol)

• Sorry to hear they're bothering you so much. I've had them since early on this time (never had them in first pregnancy) and they're getting pretty strong now (34 weeks) sometimes to the point where I think "hang on...?"

As I think Tulip said, it's if they get stronger or closer together that you should be concerned. Remember you can take paracetamol and warm baths are good too x
  • Same with the advice others have given i would keep and eye on them.I am always getting them at the minute an keep thinking i should time them.normally get them from when i pick kids up from school till i go to bed and sometimes until about midnight.Mine don't hurt but are really annoying as they make me need to wee all the time and i cant get comfy.x
  • BH can be such a pain. Mine always arrive just as I'm getting ready to sleep or getting comfy on the sofa. Generally they should calm/disappear if you start moving about (a few gentle stretches or a few minutes stroll). BH should also be irregular in timing. If you are finding the contractions getting stronger, lasting a good minute and occuring at regular intervals then you should consult your MW/delivery suite.
  • This is my 3rd day of braxton hicks now, am having them constantly throughout the day and today more cramping. I have tried moving around and tried resting and they still coming, finding it hard to be comfortable too. Helps a little if i bend over something, relieves the pressure kind of. They feel like they are lasting a little longer and feeling a little stronger too.

Im going to give my midwife a call tomorrow and see what she thinks.
  • Hope your ok and its just bracken hicks and not the real thing for a few weeks yet.x